Monday, March 9, 2015

'Antihero' from BrianB - 'Uhtred of Bebbanburg'


Uhtred of Bebbanburg is the protagonist of the Saxon Stories series by Bernard Cornwell. A reluctant participant in Alfred the Great's fight to unite England he was as likely to fight on the side of the supposed villains the Danes, murder a priest, or act more than a little rashly as he was to save the day. I think he falls in the category of an Anti-Hero. 


I used the leader figure from the Gripping Beast Thegn box-set of plastics with a couple of modifications. I sculpted some fur onto his cloak to give him a bit more savage appearance and of course modified the prominent cross on his chest to an amulet of Thor.



I couldn't remember a good description of colors from the books but I always imagined him in grays and other dull colors so I went with a sea grey for the cloak but gave him a touch of color on the hem of his jerkin. I hand painted on a wolf's head for his shield as the traditional heraldry of Bebbanburg and gave him overall a little bit of weathering to give that fresh off the battlefield look.

7 comments:

  1. Nice work Brian. Uhtred definitely ranks as an anti-hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic choice. I want this figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with the Tamsin, Adam and Sean: a great figure and a wonderful interpretation of the theme. I like that you have the Thor amulet on his chest and both the edging on his tunic and the wolf's head shield is brilliant. Well done and Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top job. Uhtred is awesome and I convinced my female companion to read the series and turns out she likes him as much as I do now. :) Really good idea on adding the fur. Well done. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good looking model! A perfect nonplussed type hero...who isn't bothered by a bit of dirt on the hands! ;)

    ReplyDelete