Sunday, January 20, 2019

'Sport' from Byron: F1 race car, Ork style...

Games Workshop has a long history with Orks and it has not been good for many years, they have languished without new models for a long while.  However all that was made up for the last few months with several amazing new models, that for me are complete home runs.

There is one though that is a real favourite for me and one I just had to get, despite not even playing Orks!  The vehicle in question is the Shokk Attack Dragsta.



Why it is called a dragster is beyond me as it is an obvious homage to a Formula 1 car, regardless I love F1 and this model just screamed "BUY ME" when it came out, so being a weak willed gamer, I bought one (or two, or three, or ....).



I have visions of painting up a pile of these vehicles in the various F1 liveries to match all the top teams.  I decided to start with one of my favourite drivers Kimi R'Örkönin in his red ones go fasta' Ferrari.

I started by painting the body panels with a deep red and then airbrushed on various layers to lighted it in key areas and give it some high points.  I then went back and edge highlighted with sunny skin tone, which sounds really odd, but someone told me about it as a trick years ago (so I don't remember who or I would give credit) and it works wonders as it doesn't look pink or orange like most edge highlights show up on red.



I kept the engine out of the car to paint it separately as it got in the way of a lot of bodywork and needed some attention of its own.  The engine is a very Orky piece of artwork as it is 3 radial aircraft engines bolted together in sequence with a shokk attack gun bolted on the back to boost power.  It got painted about 3 shades of metal and then several washes to make it grimy and oily.  The shokk attack gun and the gun on the side of the car were both airbrushed to have a blue energy effect.
For anyone unfamiliar with what a shokk attack gun does, it opens a small work hole which Ork's used to feed Gretchen, goblins, and squigs through while opening the other end of the worm hole inside an enemy tank, dreadnought, or even just inside a space marines suit of armour.  It made a mess of things.  However, this one allows the car to "sometimes" jump around the table as it disappears and re-appears through the worm holes it opens.

I purposely left the vehicle very clean and crisp as I want all of the vehicles to look as if they are lined up fresh on the starting line.  I know it is not very Orky, but I just didn't feel right chipping up a shiny new Ferrari.

Last up was to make a base that looked like some old broken up road to race on.  For this I simply used some cork sheet, broke it up, added some sand, and some tufts and was done.

I also had visions of lettering and advertising on the car, BUT I thought I had several more weeks to get decals made for this project! I was busy painting away for the Mercenary theme week when the results were posted from last weeks theme on Sunday only to read that the next theme was Sport!!!  I had not even put the model together at that point, so had to spend Monday assembling and priming, then painting Tuesday and Wednesday, and then pack it up to finish it while visiting Curt this weekend, whom I have to thank for both the hospitality and for taking some amazing pictures for me.  So, back to the decals, I simply did not have time, but will have to later.



Overall it worked out great though, I am very happy with how it turned out, and I am almost done the mercenary entry, so can take some more time on it to get it exactly right rather than being in a rush for the theme weeks all the time.

Thanks for checking it out, and I hope you all like it.



26 comments:

  1. That red is stunning, excellent job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful painting in that car. The red bt also the metals have a greta finish. Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the metals are simply Vallejo oily and natural steel, washed with agrax earthshade (one of the only GW paints I still use) and then hit with silver on the highlights. super simple recipe that always works for me.

      Delete
    2. It looks amazing - looks like an airbrushed metallic

      Brilliant model. If you like this, then check out a game called Maximillian '34 - this style of mad racing in a dystopian 1930s!

      http://www.manapress.com.au/maximillian1934/

      Delete
  3. A brilliant model, in both senses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn but that's nice work, Byron. Great finish on that red, I know from bitter experience just how hard it is to get it looking that good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan. Red is normally really hard, but not so much when you airbrush it on, it is far easier that way.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous work! I confess I'm not a fan of vehicles on bases or of units where every figure is posing on a rock, but your dilapidated highway works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, I am normally the other way, I normally like basing everything other than 28mm tanks. Anything smaller normally has fragile parts that stick out and the base helps protect everything a bit, but it is personal preference. In this case I didn't have a choice, 40k requires a base for this model.

      Delete
  6. Ooooh red uns really go fastah! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic looking F1 Ork car! Lovely painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Byron, looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a superb lump of Go-Fasta! Great work Byron.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely stuff Byron, really over the top. Now it just needs a Lotus to race against (yes I am child of the 60s).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work, the red looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Stunning work Byron. That red is fantastic and it will definitely go faster. The new Orky stuff for 40k is great and you’ve done a great job here.

    ReplyDelete