Sunday, February 17, 2019

'Water Feature' from ByronM: Armoured Jelly Fish Warrior


I was stumped for a theme week entry this time around, not really sure what to do.  I had initially planned doing some more 1/1200 scale Napoleonic ships from Langton that I have kicking around as I need to get them done, but decided against using them as a theme week entry as small figures just do not show as well.  I got digging through my pile-o-shame for something else and happened across what I think is a perfect fit, and something that most people will have not seen before.


The figure is from the Wrath of Kings game of a Hadross Gutter Friar.  He is the leader of a type of warriors for the undersea faction that is made up of various sea creatures with semi-human form.  There are shark-men, fish-men, crab-men, and more.  The model is of a jellyfish-man, which I haven't really seen anywhere else and I find pretty cool looking.

 

The Gutter Friar is the squad leader and is generally a different colour than the other men in the unit, so I wanted something that would really stand out.  I went with an almost neon green look.  The body was the hardest part to paint ans I did is all with glazes through the airbrush as I wanted a seamless organic look with no paint brush marks to disturb the surface.  I tried several times to get the bubbles done without using inks or washes around them, but in the end had to use them as even my super fine 0.15mm  H&S airbrush could not keep a small enough line to manage it.  Despite having to use washes to define the bubbles, I like how the rest of the green worked with the transitions from black, dark green, neon green, to almost a ivory for the highlights.

The armour was easy by comparison, going from a black through dark blue up to a bright blue.  I wanted to keep the armour black / dark blue but the contrast was so little against the luminous green that I had to punch it up a lot or it just looked black by comparison.


I was stuck a little with the Hadross symbols as well, as I initially tried gold or silver and neither showed well, so instead I went for a bright orange, which makes them pop a lot more against the blue.  Last up was the weapons which I kept a muted bronze that goes to bright gold at the highlights and almost black in the shadows.



While the game Wrath of Kings is not really my cup of tea, I fell in love with a lot of the cool figures they were putting out and got them cheap through their kickstarter.  They have since sat in boxes for years, so I am happy I finally got this guy out and painted, now I want to do more!!!  Maybe some shark-men will see some paint before the challenge is done!

11 comments:

  1. What a bonkers looking figure... I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Armoured jellyfish? Now I've seen everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really unique figure, he's great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You always come up with something different, Byron, but always beautifully finished, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those colours are truly vibrant and complementary, inspired choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn but that's nice work! Well done, that man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific work Byron. 'Gutter Friar' - love that name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, only on the challenge could ou see an armoured jellyfish warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very unusual Byron, but looks pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great execution there, really like this bulbous weirdling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful oddity, Byron! The green is very good even if you did need the washes. Very nice color choices all around!

    ReplyDelete