Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from AledC: Minas Tirith Archers

Here goes with my submission for the Armour bonus round. I have decided to use this opportunity to focus on my upcoming force for use in Dragon Rampant, an oh so lovely game. I'll be theming my force around the soldiers of Gondor from the last parts of the Third Age in Lord of the Rings.


These models are the fantastic plastic sculpts by the Perry Brothers from Games Workshop and they had been collecting dust in a box for many years before I thought of using them in recent games and of painting them up in this Challenge. They painted up nice and quick too which is always good. So quick in fact that I dreamed of having another batch done in time for the armour round to submit alongside them.... but, alas, they sit about 90% done whilst work calls me away from my paints and I shall not get them done before the deadline.


What I realise I didn't do in my first post, which I will go over in my next, is a small rundown on the method of painting for my Arab Spearmen. However, today I will do so my these little fellas. I am a big fan of using washes and drybrushing to paint models with a speed that is comfortable for me (I'm not the fastest brush in West no sir) whilst still having models that I am proud to call mine.



I started these models with an undercoat of the Army Painter 'Plate Metal Primer' which I am still unsure was the best move. Not because it had an undesired effect on the models, but because the was so much black to paint on too that I though perhaps that would have been better. Next, as you may guess was the matt black of the cloth and gloves and the leather brown for the belts and boots. A 'beastie brown' for the wood on the bow and then detail in gold, white for the arrows, and flesh on the face, the excellent skin tone 'cadmium skin'. With all the colours in I gave figure a liberal coating of the 'Nuln Oil' wash by GW before on to basing with sand. The ground was painted with the Army Painter 'Fur brown', washed with GW's 'Agrax Earthshade', and then drybrushed with a mix of 'Leather Brown' (the same as the belts/boots) and Vallejo's 'Yellow Ochre' in a rough 3 to 1 ratio. Final touch was a bit of flock (not sure which brand I've had it so long in an unmarked container)

Twelve figures in 28mm for a base of 60 points, with the bonus, should be a nice 110.

There we have it, another submission made, more points on the board, and most importantly more figures ready for the table!!

Cheers, Aled.

32 comments:

  1. That is a very nice unit for Dragon Rampant, Aled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job mate - looking forward to seeing them on the table at the club!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "whilst still having models that I am proud to call mine" - couldn't agree more with you Aled. No point in rushing to get points, only to have figs you dont like at the end of the challenge

      Delete
    2. If you did, you would just have to spend more time later re painting. Look forward to taking on your army of DOOM!

      Delete
  3. Nice archers Aled! Loved these guys in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good Aled! There are some lovely figures in that range, the army will look great when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The good thing about Dragon Rampant is that you don't need a huge army.

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I'm thinking of trying out that primer on some Normans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Its a great primer but it can be a bit of a pain with any lighter colours of if your paints are even a little watery because it's metallic sheen shows through. But that is solved by using an extra layer or two.

      Delete
  6. These look like they will rush onto the ramparts and stand ready to defend the last bastion of "Good" against the hordes of Sauron. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. About as heavily armoured as LotR's can get for the good side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they'll be tough nuts for their opponents!

      Delete
  8. I love the GW Gondorians, they look impressive en masse as yours do. Great work.
    How are you rating your Godorians for DR? As Heavy Infantry and Heavy Missiles? Getting some of the GW cavalry if you can still find some would give you a nice Heavy Rider cav capability for your force, otherwise they suffer as all-foot armies sometimes do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I haven't decided yet but will probably do them as heavy foot. I plan to get my hands on some of the cav as well as some of the Ithilien Rangers for an elite ranged unit.

      Delete
  9. Very nice - great metallic effect without being too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fine work, Aled! My favorite sculpts of the LotR ring games and you painted them up well!

    ReplyDelete