Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from ChristopherS: Goth Warlord


Finally got some figures off the table for the AHPC as it seems time has just flew by with this and that getting in the way. I've been happily participating in the AHPC since the second one and I usually skip the fortnight challenges as they often would cause me to get off track of current projects of which I already have great difficulties maintaining focus, but this year the stars and moons have aligned and it seems some themes fall in the sphere of things I'm doing including this one which is nice for a change.



Since this just states "Armour" I figured that I could take the liberty and present a Goth warlord and his standard bearer in chainmail and scale barding which in effect is classed as armour in ancient terms and for this period was a form of tank.:-)




The figures themselves are made to represent a Goth Warlord or leader and his standard bearer which could be used to represent many different Germanic factions. They are a bit Romanized so you could represent them as Foederati in the service of the Romans or an allied Germanic tribe gifted with equipment or of course one of the many Germanic tribes with either captured Roman equipment or copied ones.



I based the figures on oval bases which I enjoy for cavalry bases as I find the shape very pleasing on the eye and using a round base constructed a sabot base for the figures so they could multi task for SAGA, Impetus, Leader markers etc.



The figures are from the lovely Footsore miniature range which I consider to be some of the finest Dark Age figures on the market and a real treat to paint up. I painted the figures using mostly Foundry colors and some Vallejo. The Shields are LBM which I gave a dusting up from my trusty MIG pigments to include the stones.



I've recently purchased a new camera and fumbling my through it, but so far I'm happy with it for lighted set up shots and it sure does hold the charge a lot longer then my old one which is great!



The figures are mounted 28mm which should net me 20pts + 50pts for the Bonus round giving me 70pts total if that's correct? Well, I'm sure you know Curt. :-)


21 comments:

  1. Lovely painting on these great figures. The basing and scenic photography are very well done too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done, i really like these, especially the little extra touch of the different coloured row of scales in the barding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific work Christopher and great to see you out for a theme round! I love the warlord's facemask and the variegated scale barding. The draco standard is ace as well.

    BTW I'm afraid we are going to have to put an end to this Photobucket thing for the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are truly top notch and so are the scenics and the photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well painted armoured men on well painted armoured horses. It works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking Goths! Love the details on the scale armour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply outstanding Chris! You've done a terrific job on these and I'm really looking forward to see them in the flesh. They'll come in more than handy in future games of SAGA fur sure. Your new shiny camera has paid off as well I'd say. The pics turned out excellent and really do your painting justice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely use of colour on these guys, very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really excellent work, Christopher! Fantastic painting, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely brushwork, Christopher!
    I really like the pallet choice and that dragon banner is awesome! ;)

    ReplyDelete