Sunday, January 22, 2017

'East' from IannickM: Rhino Miyamoto, Samurai of the Cinnamon Clan

Every year, I find a way to paint one of Dark Sword's amazing Anthropomorphic Animals, usually in a Bonus Round challenge. It started with Sir Kermit the Frog Paladin many moons ago for the "Hero" bonus round, then a Frog Jester for the "Comedy" round, a Frog Prince and Princess for last year's "Amour" theme (which won the round) and Kitty Bonny, Cat pirate! As someone who's attached to traditions, I obviously couldn't let this year challenge go by without a nice Anthropomorphic Animal...So I made my choice pretty quickly for this bonus round. It was especially easy as the figure I was thinking of using was a free figure sent by Dark Sword as part of an order (Yes, they usually give you a random figure, another reason to love the small outfit). The only difficult part was finding him in my lead pile, as it had been stored during last year's house move! 

So no frog this year, as we go into the house pet category, with the exotic and oh so vicious North American Guinea Pig! So I present to you Rhino Miyamoto, Samurai of the Cinnamon Clan. 


I must say the armour was a bit of pain to paint, but in the end it's well worth it. I'm especially happy the black came out well, even in photography.


The black armour was painted black and then delicately and lightly drybrushed with grey; I wanted to pick the details but still wanted it to look very black and not grey. The yellow is my traditionnal Ochre/yellow recipe, and the yellow details on the armour were picked up manually (that was the painful part). 


I had to google to find out what Guinea Pigs eyes looks like, and I think I've a good job replicating their big black shiny eyes. 


And there you have it, one more critter in the display cabinet! These guys are Laurie's favourites so they have a place of honour in the living room cabinet! 

And as for his name, well his last name is pretty obvious I'd think, but his first name is a wink to the most famous guinea pig of them, and a favourite of mine...


17 comments:

  1. Very well done Iannick! I love these little animals you do each year, very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't expect this!

    Very nicely done, Iannick, a very characterful figure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love your anthropomorphic entries Iannick and this one is no exception :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha. Funky looking fellow painted superbly. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. He could fight Evan's little blighter, great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's fantastic. For a minute I thought he was a samurai hamster and had an idea for a new Kia Soul commercial. I love how you did the beady black eyes, and the texturing of the face is very fine. Another entry in this theme round that gave me a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dark Sword miniatures are awesome and you did an excellent job on these

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant. I love the fur and his black lacquered armour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yellow and black look very good on him, Iannick! The armor came out very well!
    Guinea pigs are great watchdogs, they "Squeal" on whoever opens the refrigerator! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fine work, Iannick - and great devotion to accuracy googling his eyes! He's great, and that's a pretty mean armour you've painted there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brillo!

    For those of us who may have missed it, what's your traditional ochre/yellow mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty simple : Foundry Ochre triad followed by AP strong tone ;-)

      Delete