Sunday, January 22, 2017

'East' from AlexS: Russian Bogatyr


In the Russian language and culture of the East consistently associated with Asia, while the West is associated with Europe. The problem is that my country is both in Asia and in Europe. Ekaterinburg City, where I live, is located in Asia, and a summer house in the village, which is already located in Europe. 


Almost all of its history, my country has to choose which way to civilization closer to her - European or Asian. And in the end I chose something in between. In the words of one of our philosopher: "Appearance we have a European and actions - Asia". And provided you a miniature meets this duality. Its author - sculptor of the Czech Republic (European country with Slavic population). It depicts a dwarf (a typical representative of European mythology) in the image of Russian BOGATYR (hero), which is characterized by parts of the armor and clothes of Asian origin.


That's the way I decided to translate the theme proposed by by Curt. I hope that my association and my job will seem interesting.





18 comments:

  1. Very cool stuff - looks like Ilya Muromets from the 1950's Mosfilm classic of the the same name!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great submission. Nice figure painted well. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colourscheme and (back)story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely figure and impeccable logic.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interpretation and a lovely figure- nice work all-round!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks eastern to me. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool looking Dwarf, Alex!
    I love the coloring and the Armor styling. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is VERY well done. The beard is especially nice. I could see him being at home equally in old Rus and Khazad Dum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! I like his red gauntlets and blue & white striped jerkin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Undeniably Eastern, Alex - fine work, well done!

    ReplyDelete