Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from PeterD: 11th Hussars, 1940





For my armour bonus round submission I have two Rolls Royce Armoured Cars in 15mm.  These are the venerable 1924 pattern cars used in the Western Desert by the 11th Hussars in 1940.  The models are by Battlefront.

The 11th Hussars were the divisional recon unit for the Western Desert Force, later the famous Seventh Armoured Division the Desert Rats.  About this time last Challenge I was thinking of doing Operation Compass and or the East African campaigns in 15mm using I Ain't Been Shot Mum by the Lardies.  I got the Lardys supplements for these campaigns and some figures.  But then I had a number of realizations - I didn't like 15s or at least Battlefronts 15s, tanks are too fiddly to paint, too much drab and our group already had a gazillion WWII kit.



Anyway, these got primed last Challenge and painted this Challenge.  They are pretty much front the box, with some added kit from my bits box in the back.  I tried to modify the steel hats into berets to suit the 11th.  I tried a simplified Caunter camo pattern.  My ancient Vanguard has a picture where the Car is without markings, so I didn't do any either.  There's a blank space at the back for unit labels in case I ever do dome.


23 comments:

  1. Nice armoured cars Peter - huzzah for the hussars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I've always had a soft spot for armored cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod. I like the smaller armoured stuff more than the heavies.

      Delete
  3. A pair of beauties. (and similar camo to mine, but I went blue as I could take the colours from Bovington Tank museum!)I like what I see and great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. I like your larger scale Rolls too.

      Delete
  4. Great work Peter - I like the back story or starting in one challenge and then painting in another :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. There's always left overs from a Challenge!

      Delete
  5. Nice work Peter and always did like the old cars.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great addition to the motorpark Peter, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, love the use of colour on these guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I like colour, so this camo pattern suits me.

      Delete
  8. A lovely pair of Rolls, Peter. I may have a use for those in a future scenario...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. Do let me know when you want to use the Rolls and I'll have Jeeves make it ready for you.

      Delete