Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from MarkG: Austin-Putilov Armoured Car

This is my first entry to the challenge. Given it's the centenary year of the Russian Revolution, and the start of the Russian Civil War, I thought that this would be a good theme for my Painting Challenge efforts this year.



The model is a 28mm Austin-Putilov armoured car from Brigade Games. Mostly resin, with lead alloy wheels, suspension and HMG's. I've painted it as the "Sokol" (Eagle) car in Bolshevik service. This is my first effort in this period, and is inspired by all the fabulous Back of Beyond / Setting the East Ablaze games that I've seen in various blogs, especially those by Steve Langan and The League of Extraordinary Kriegspielers.



I decided to keep the base colour in Russian Green, so that this can be used from the start of the civil war. As the war progressed, most armoured cars turned out by the Putilov Works in Petrograd (for the Bolsheviks) were painted in what appears to be naval grey. After the Izorski-Fiat it was probably the most widely used armoured car in the civil war, seeing service in nearly all armies (red, white and national).



More vehicles, figures, buildings and terrain are in the pipeline for this fascinating period. Hopefully they will be posted up here very soon.



35 comments:

  1. Super first entry. Great rust effects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the early vehicles. IF I had a use for it I would crave one just like this! Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. Yes,the late WW1/Interwar vehicle are great and a joy to paint. The one from the Honourable Lead Boiler Suit company as especially nice (examples of which will be in my next submission)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. It was a bit of an experiment with some new paints.

      Delete
  4. very good, specially like the weathering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful early a/c and very well executed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made one of these a year or so ago and I think yours is nicer. Lovely work Mark. I really like the weathering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt. Very Kind of you to say. Now if I could only match your figure painting skills I'd be a happy man. The vehicle was good to paint, but I've been more impressed by the quality of the H.L.B.S. vehicles (to be posted in the future)

      Delete
  7. Great looking model, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is absolutely amazing. Especially the rust work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work! Gotta love the choice of subject as well. Armoured cars from that era are just amazing. They just have that charm somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great vehicle, sure to strike terror into the hearts of any Tsarist lackeys! Fine revolutionary work, Comrade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sidney. Don't worry, there'll be some White AC's in the next entry. I think I was first motivated to these period armoured cars after seeing some Sloppy Jalopy models that you had painted up on your blog.

      Delete
  11. Glorious look to the AC, Mark!
    From the lettering to that nice green hue, she looks really impressive. I like the rust and weathering focused on the chassis too.
    I can almost hear her bouncing and creaking on the cart paths and fields!

    ReplyDelete