Sunday, January 6, 2019

'Reconnaissance' from StefanK: AT-ST for Star Wars: Legion

It was about a year ago when Star Wars - Legion caught my attention. First I was annoyd because Fantasy Flight Games chose another scale than their Imperial Assault game has. But afterall I wasn't able to resist the seduction of airspeeders and full-scale Imperial walkers. So I acquired the starter box as well as an AT-ST. Although I assembled it a while ago it sat on my to-do-shelf for a pretty long time. Now with the first bonus round of the AHPC themed 'Reconnaissance' what could be more obvious than a vehicle bearing 'scout' in his name?


This interpretation of the well-known All-Terrain-Scout-Transport is a huge beast. Therefor some 32mm stormtroopers for size comparison. It has a hight of over 20 centimeters with slightly bent legs. It has more or less the same size as the good old 1/48 kit by Bandai.


For painting I used my airbrush gun to apply a medium grey base colour and light grey highlights. Afterwards I applied a selection of washes: Nuln Oil by Citadel and several of the thinner based washes by AK. As a finish I added some rusty brown and charcoal black pigments at several places. E.g. the feet (dust) and the shoulder gun (grime).


For the basing I wasn't able to decide which theatre of war I'd use the walker for. Star Wars has so many interesting places which reach from the icy planet Hoth to woody planets like Endor or desert worlds like Tatoine. So how to base a model properly to suit all these different requirements? For me it became crystal clear when I checked some aftermarket articles and stumbled over some clear acrylic bases offered by Sarissa. So I ordered enough for a small Imperial invasion force and some appropriate heavy armour.


Well that's it for now. I'm lucky to have contributed something to this first bonus round between the bunch of ACW and Cruel Seas stuff I'm working on. Hope you like my humble contibution.

Cheers
Stefan

22 comments:

  1. This is one of the best Legion AT-STs I’ve seen Stefan. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the weathering/shading on this. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work! The clear bases is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous work, Stefan. I vowed not to get into Legion after collecting for Imperial Assault, but this makes me waver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my problem as well. Actually I didn't want to get into both but at least the AT-ST in true scale made me step into it...

      Delete
  5. Awesome! Really nicely painted! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome AT-ST, just watch out for teddy bears with pointy sticks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Stefan! Really nice weathering on the beast. And it's definitely a huge model for the scale! But I guess it goes with the vehicles being fairly truescale compared to the figures when normally you tend to have very downsized vehicles in wargames

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting work. I'm just starting with the pigment-based weathering and it's not that easy. Your work here is top notch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool Stefan, what's next? Some Ewoks with giant trunk-rams?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really like the first picture! Wonderful work Stefan on getting the metal right.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Outstanding job Stefan, really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks for your kind comments. It was indeed a tremendous kit to work with. The sice alone makes it something special.

    ReplyDelete