Sunday, February 8, 2015

'Hot' from ByronM - 'Satan the Hottie'

This Fortnight Challenge is “Hot”, and I was stumped for a while initially coming up with something to do for it.  Then I remembered a limited edition resin that I had picked up a while ago from Kingdom Death <http://kingdomdeath.com/> of Satan <http://shop.kingdomdeath.com/products/satan>.  Now, anyone who knows anything about Kingdom Death, knows that the figures are both expertly done and normally pretty twisted. Therefore, check your sensibilities at the door for most of their models (this is actually a fairly tame one).


From the picture below from their site, you can see that most of her “armour” is made up of tongues.  What you can almost make out in the corner is her “armoured” skirt, which is made up of claimed penises from the many men she has seduced. I got no end of hassle from the wife for spending hours painting tits and ass, but not painting or attaching the skirt. Remember, this is a “calm” fig from Kingdom Death, so they are definitely not for everyone.

Satan

So, back to the theme, I believe this miniature fits the theme on multiple levels.  As a representation of Satan, you can imagine the heat of the flames of Hell, so it fits that way.  However, as a female representation Satan, there is no arguing that with her curves she definitely counts as Hot in the sexual way (although maybe not by todays anorexic twig standards, but more in a Marilyn Monroe standard).




I chose to pick up a few Kingdom Death figures a while ago for a few reasons, not the least of which is shock value.  However, I also really hate painting flesh, and feel that I am pretty horrible at it, never getting it right to a level that I am happy with.  Therefore, what better way to get better at it than actually having to paint a whole lot of it.  So this figure more than anything else was a way to work on flesh tones, using a method that is different than what I normally do.  I used the excellent guides that Kingdom Death put up on their website.  The basic idea is, setup a pallet with 10-12 pots on it.  Each pot has shades from darkest to lightest of paints, mixed as 1 part paint, 2 parts glaze medium, 1 part matt medium, 5-6 parts water.  Once each part is mixed you then mix each again in order from lightest to darkest and them back to lightest, WITHOUT washing the brush.  This blends them all very closely, and since each is essentially a glaze they are super thin and require multiple coats.


Needless to say, painting the flesh this way takes a long time, however, I am pretty happy with how it came out.  It works very smoothly and is easy to blend up and down. Seeing how well it worked, I will attempt it again on other figures and with different skin tones as well.  I would even use the same method on armour of almost anything else for competition pieces.  I am used to using glazes, but this was several more steps than my normal, but it worked well (at least in my opinion).


I chose to keep with the basic colours shown in their image, but darkened the tongues down quite a bit from the pinky read they show as I felt it worked better.  They could be imagined to be either real tongues as they rot, or simply enamelled armour to fit a theme.  I also wanted to make her appear demonic, so kept red eyes rather than human eyes.  I tried black eyes, like the demons in the Supernatural TV series, but they were too dark compared to the rest of her.  I also changed the hair colour as I didn’t feel white hair fit with her.  Initially I had her as a red head, but felt it didn’t offer enough contrast with the armour so changed her to a brunette.


Anyway, while I know this figure will definitely not be for everyone, I hope you can appreciate the techniques that were used to get the overall effect.

Satan thanks you for “checking her out”, and yes, as you can tell from the pictures above, she is a little “cheeky”.

Sorry, I know, bad puns.  All I can say is that the Devil made me do it.  :-)


11 comments:

  1. That's a Hot one there. Very nicely done skin tones. That can be super challenging to make it look convincing. You nailed it. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should certainly get temperatures rising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very hot, great work on the flesh

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the Devil looked like that I'd certainly admit to more sin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The skin on this one looks great. I tried, I think unsuccessfully, to do a subtle skin tone on my female figure as well. With "assets" like that how could you not spend time on them? I'm also sure the reference material was quite helpful. ;) Although it may not have needed it, I'm curious now as to what the penis skirt looked like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The KD website has a picture here: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0265/0051/products/satan-s-3_1024x1024.jpg?v=1417126664

      Delete
  6. Really nice and fine painting work. I like a lot the skin and the base.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serious eye candy sir. The metallic effect on the sword is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah that was a pain in the ...

      That sword is cast so thin, a 000 brush was bending it over. It is literally paper thin.

      Delete
  8. She's got some junk to be sure. Awesome work Byron, especially on the flesh-tone and the sword. One of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful work on the .... ahem .... flesh.I wouldn't like to meet her in case part of me ended up on her armoured skirt!!

    Pip pip

    ReplyDelete