Sunday, February 8, 2015

'Hot' from Curt - 'Bring up the Guns. The English are Landing.'


Egypt, March 8, 1801.  

General Friant, commanding approximately 2000 French along with 10 guns, obstructed the British amphibious landing at Abukir, near the Nile Delta, causing serious casualties amongst the Redcoats assembling on the beach.


Under the hot Mediterranean sun, enduring a fierce bombardment, the British managed to send men forward with the bayonet and force the French away from the heights commanding the landing site. This campaign ultimately led to the French surrender at Alexandria on September 2nd and their ejection from Egypt. 








This small 28mm vignette is from Brigade Games. The palm tree is home-made: wire wrapped with medical gauze, painted and then topped with hot-glued artificial leaves (thanks for the recipe for this Brian!).


The final images show some mounted troopers from the French Dromedary Corps which I submitted for last year's Challenge. The obelisks are from Scotia Grendel the desert mat from Barrage Miniatures.


14 comments:

  1. Peering over a camel like that is a unique pose. It's great when you see these types of unusual miniatures. It's even better when they are painted to a high standard like this. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Eye, spy with my little eye! Lovely painting and detailing Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fantastic entry Curt. The Palm tree really adds to the look of it. I also have to say that I really liked the obelisks, even though they don't count. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. Yes, the obelisk was a late addition to the photo shoot. I had the castings from years and years ago so I was nice to excavate them to give them some press-time

      Delete
  4. Again this is just fabulous. That palm tree turned out well and I would have never guessed that was medical gauze on the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Anne. The palm tree technique came from Brian Homenick, a friend from Winnipeg, who has a great eye for modelling terrain (and also brilliant at painting miniatures I must add!).

      Delete
  5. Very nice Curt. When do we head to Egypt on the gaming table?
    Cheers, PD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Question! I have a couple ideas percolating...

      Delete
  6. Curt,

    So that's what happened to the other figure from the pack! Actually, mine might well put in an appearance before the end of the Challenge. Really nice paintwork. I might have to introduce Napoleon's gentleman camel to your lady camel......

    Pip pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your submission with this vignette. ! I was torn whether to get the Napoleon set and now, after seeing yours, I think I'm going to plunk down for it. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  7. A cracking little vignette Curt. Good to see some African Naps making an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy! You remind me that I have some Ottomans that I need to try from this range...

      Delete