Sunday, February 8, 2015

'Hot' from MartinC - 'The Thing (1982)'


So I thought long and hard about “Hot” – jungle, desert, cute girls. What to do? So I painted the hottest thing I had – a flamethrower.

This is the scene from The Thing (1982) where the crew of Antarctic science station crew try to kill a parasitic alien. I do get the irony of the hot round in the Antarctic. McCready (Kurt Russell in full grumpy mode) identifies The Thing and tries to kill it with a flamethrower. The creature splits into different human parts and the head sprouts legs.

The figure is from Hasslefree and head is scratch built from a head (obviously) and 8 pieces of wire. The flames are made from Chuppa Chups lollipops wrappers, the most delicious way to make flames.

The obscured poster says “Nobody gets hurt today” and there is Bob Hope of that happening.


8 comments:

  1. Classic special effects movie! Great entry. The head is spooky (like the movie was back in the day) and the Chuppa Chup flames look the part. Great idea! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Love this idea, I had thought about using the same model for 'Cold'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea and well done

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pure genius! A great movie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, this is brilliant! That is a classic film and you've done a marvelous job here. The figures and the setting you created are inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all. I think I'm about to combine my film buffery with painting figs. Don't know why I didn't do it before as I'm always stuck for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favourite horror movie, ever, and you've done it justice! Love the head creature, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, it was stress relieving to drill holes in a head

      Delete