Sunday, February 18, 2018

'Childhood' from MichaelA: "Would you like a Jelly Baby?"


Tom Baker, as the fourth incarnation of the alien Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, was my Doctor.  His tenure, lasting longer than any other, ran from 1974 - 1981, just when young Master Awdry was starting to take an interest in all things Science Fiction.  Whilst I wouldn't call myself the must die hard of Whovians, the series did, and still does, hold a special place in my heart.  So when it came to conjuring up ideas for the 'Childhood' round, I found myself instantly transported back in space and time.
  

There is a misconception that we spent the 70s hiding behind the settee, fearful of the monsters that sprang fourth from our television sets, but not I, I would rather be sat, front and centre, best placed to deal with whatever befell the Doctor and I.  This was the premise that I built my submission around and fortunately I had been quietly taking advantage of 'Black Tree Designs' regular sales to build up a small collection of Time Lords. 


With the Doctor and his robotic companion K-9 completed my attention turned to the most iconic of the Time Lord's adversaries, the Daleks!  Relatively simple in principle, I had been advised that using a small tube dipped into paint would speed the process up no end.  Sadly for me, the innards of a Bic biro proved just a little too wide in diameter, but some styrene tubing proved more suitable and so the initial setback was soon forgotten as I raced on to the Cybermen.
  

I knew that I wanted to allude to this being an important moment in my childhood and eventually hit upon the idea of having the Time Lord beaming into the front room from the television set.  Ready made doll's house furniture was proving a dead end, either too expensive or just not the right style, but fortunately I happened upon Jane Harrop's retro kits.  

I chose a couple of pieces of furniture and an iconic Decca television in 1/24 scale to 'sell' the idea that the miniatures had emanated from the screen.  The kits themselves are exquisite in their detail and the materials used, a real treat to assemble although fiddly in places - I even had to glue the buttons on to the television!  


Once completed the miniatures were suitably arranged on a 'Warbases' disc that I had covered in strips of felt to add to the lurid colour scheme of the decade and all was set, just in time, to sit back and enjoy another piece of sugary confectionary!


The final submission, Black Tree Designs Doctor Who and K-9, five Daleks and three Cybermen, with a Warlord Games Police Box (surely, I can't count that as a vehicle?) and a selection of doll's house furniture.

22 comments:

  1. Those are just great and bring back happy memories - I have to confess I did hide behind the settee - but more for John Pertwee monsters. Which were scarier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I need to watch more Pertwee editions now.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm - the sea devils might have lost a bit of their scare factor in the last several years. It might be the rubberiness of their masks or their string vests, but somehow I can't see them now as I did then.

      Delete
  2. I too grew up with Tom Baker being the one true Doctor. I always wondered why the Jelly Babies didn't go stale? Then again he is a Time Lord right? Great stuff Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having bought a box of jelly babies for this round, I can tell you that they didn't last long enough to go stale. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh damn, he has done it again: fabulous Lord Awdry, just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know Michael, the REAL Doctor was Jon Petrwee, however Tom Baker came a close second. These are well up to your usual impeccable standard. I am three months older than the series itself, but I think the scariest of his enemies were the Sea Devils!!!. As they are huge Whovians, I am sure that Toby and Henry will be voting for this.

    Cheers,

    Richard C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give that you are older and wiser, I will have to take that on advisement, good to hear that boys like it too.

      Delete
  5. Great entry Michael! I love Doctor Who, and used to watch all the old ones re-broadcast on PBS here in North America as a kid. Tom Baker was always one of my favourites and you did great work on him here. Top notch entry, love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Byron. I recently started to re-watch them myself and would then treat myself to the corresponding adversary from Black Tree when they had their next sale.

      Delete
  6. Lovely painting and composition, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid work as always, Michael! I started watching back in the Hartnell era, so Doctor Who has always been a sentimental favourite for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very cool piece Micheal!Well done!!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. To be honest I never found my way to Dr. Who but nevertheless your entry is top-notch, Sir!

    Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tom Baker was my Dr too! My grandmother even made me a decent scarf similar to his iconic scarf.
    Very well done, Michael! You have the iconic villains and yes the call box is a vehicle but only with the Doctor nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff Michael, you nailed it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely vignette! Tom Baker was my doctor too, the 1/24 scenery works a treat, nice lurid 70s carpet!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant! The tubing for paint application is very clever. And the test pattern on the Tele is the icing on the cake- if not the sugar on the jelly baby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb. Thanks Michael. This takes me back in time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never really got into Dr Who (I was more of a Space 1999 fan) but these miniatures are gorgeous. I especially like the living room decor with it's awful carpet (what were our parents thinking?).

    ReplyDelete