Sunday, February 4, 2018

'Music/Musician' from DavidB: Barnacle Bill


Who's that knocking at my door?
  Who's that knocking at my door?
Who's that knocking at my door? said the fair young maiden.
<ahem>
WEEEEELLLLLLL, Open the door you< censored> <censored>, said Barnacle Bill the sailor.....


Ummm, How about
What can you do with a drunken sailor....yeah...we will skip that one too.


The figures are from Games Workshop that I got in a Christmas mystery box from Games Workshop years ago. The sorceress and necromancer remind me a lot of Miracle Max and his witch, er wife, from the Prince's Bride. Said movie my wife never seen till we were dating and it is now her favourite movie.The whole Miracle Max shtick is her favourite scene. I still feel the necromancer's fancy hat is a touch reminiscent of the quirky hat Billy Crystal donned.



The Tavern is from Forgeworld and purchased at the very first Gamesday in Chicago. I was going to buy a lot Forgeworld Imperial tanks, but the tavern, blacksmith shop, stables, well...It seemed that together they would make a wonderful set terrain piece. I never did get the rest and all are no longer in production.

But by did I catch some serious grief from my witch, er, I mean wife! She wasn't too happy when I told her how much this gem cost. She has been less than pleased that it was providing a solid support to my mountain of neglected miniatures as well!

Although I have yet to finish the Gorkamorka gangs of Muties,diggas, and gobbos she gifted me; I proudly shown her the Gorkas and Morkas and trucks I did finish.
Her reply was" When are you going to paint that <censored>, <censored>, <censored> building you bought!"

Earlier in the week I thought this bonus round would give the proper urgency to complete it.


It is really a beautiful model and few components, the cracks and pits exposing the wattle. makeshift repairs. there is a lot of pretty details in this building.



It is designed for troops to be placed inside. I will be using it for fantasy, Scifi, and even historical battles. It doesn't seem to be too far fetched for GI's to seek shelter from German Panzer Grenadiers inside the voluminous tavern.








Yeah, I painted the inside too. It seems the sculptor ran out of steam or maybe if the inside was as detailed it would've cost more!:)


I painted up the stone floor with all the colors I used for the tavern except for the blue of tiles and windows.


I have no Idea who made the barrels.



Barrels are good for medicinal supplies, flour, hooch, nails, rum, gunpowder....did I say booze?

This is a good start to some scatter terrain too.
So one honking huge tavern, three 28mm minis, and a score of whiskey barrels....
Hopefully I'll make the cut as I'm currently watching my daughters and their friends(including boys) who went to a dance. It is snowing pretty good outside and I don't want the boys to drive home in this weather.

They were less than amused when I drove the gang to the dance while wearing my LBV with knifes  and all the other neat recon stuff.(the boys noted the knifes and none of them guessed the right number I was wearing!) My wife wouldn't let me take my mossberg, and she won't let me clean it right now either...The boys are sleeping in the spare bedroom by my mancave as I type! ;)

A parting shot courtesy of my wife.

Theory of a Deadman is one of my favourite contemporary groups and I was listening to the new album she bought me today as I was finishing this piece up. She told me she likes track #1 and thought of me. Since she is smarter than I, perhaps a hidden warning ? ;)

Artist: Theory(aka Theory of a Deadman)

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful work on this pile David! I clearly remember this model from the Forge World catalogue, what a beauty. I can't believe you actually told your wife how much it cost (I remember it leaning on the heavy side of 'outrageously expensive'). You definitely deserved the arched eyebrow for that gaff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Curt!
      I'm a true knuckle-dragger, but I have two great qualities. I know how to decipher the Pantone color wheel and find colors such as taupe, and I don't lie. The truth may sting ( like this gaffe still does) yet it would've been worse had my wife discovered the price on her own later! ;)

      Delete
  2. That's an awesome tavern! Max and his missus is great too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iain! You can't have a proper Tavern to populate with drunks and adventurers without an eccentric staff! ;)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, Bill is such a great character and the tavern in awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! He seemed to be in mid-song while I was painting him! ;)

      Delete
  4. That's a great centrepiece for any table, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evan! It's an even better centerpiece now that it is colored! ;)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Barks! All brush too, but if I ever paint another huge structure, I'm going to try an airbrush!;)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sander! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

      Delete
  7. Great work all round David, that tavern is a beauty! Though calling Barnacle Bill a musician might be a stretch for the rest of the taverns patrons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve! I'm sure Barnacle Bill has a voice akin to a dying cat being crushed by dying cats! ;)

      Delete
  8. Dave you are tapping into serious nostalgia for me on this one. As a 12 year old scout we used to bellow Barnacle Bill while trekking through the woods. Plus you've got a Miracle Max reference, especially relevant as I've been mostly dead this week. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! I'm glad you are only mostly dead instead of all the way dead. Still better avoid swimming for awhile! ;)

      Delete