Sunday, January 21, 2018

'BFG' from Barks: Exitus Longrifle

The Exitus Longrifle is the signature weapon of the Vindicare sniper assassin. It can take Shield Breaker, Hellfire, and Turbo-penetrator rounds. It is a BFG.


Vindicare Assassin with Exitus Longrifle





I picked up a 'cheap' second hand copy of Assassinorum: Execution Force last year. The figures had been assembled and the assassins sprayed black, so I had to deflash and paint this figure whilst already assembled! Bit of a pain getting around the back. The synskin was painted in shades of blue and washed black, and came out better than I had anticipated. I wasn't going to do the facemask white, but it really adds a focal point to the model.

At my regular blog, if I paint a 40K figure I fire up the Skullometer to count how many skulls are on the figure. This one reaches 10.

1x 28mm figure

28 comments:

  1. Great looking mini - love the weathering on the pillar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, James- I didn't want to take the focus off the figure!

      Delete
  2. Now look what you made me do: I dug up my version and counted the skulls, you're right at that! Anyway your figure looks far better than mjne, agreat little piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll just have to call him Agent Skully!

    ...I'll get me coat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to take a good hard look at yourself...

      Delete
  4. Very nice indeed! Nice spot highlighting on the synskin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie! I’ve seen some really good shiny effects I’d like to be able to emulate.

      Delete
  5. Very good work making the black suit look convincing, not an easy task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Byron, it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

      Delete
  6. Nice work on the shapes of grey/black. I like the Skullometer too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A classic 40k persona! Well executed paint work too, just great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Barks. Good call on making the faceplate white - a great counterpoint to all the dark tones. I'll have to try that black wash over blue - nice effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt- the black face just meant that at arm’s length the figure looks under coated only, and blends into the table- I know he’s meant to be a sniper, but still...

      An alternative would be a blue wash over greys.

      Delete
    2. Maybe, but I think it might be too 'bluey' though... I like the depth the black gives. Perhaps balck with a dark blue-grey midtone, with grey highlight and then hit with a black glaze? Food for thought.

      Delete
    3. Certainly. I think a bit of blue works well to give depth to black hair.

      Delete
  9. Lovely looking sniper, I'm glad you went with the white mask, it works really well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work on him, Barks! The black wash over the blue does the body suit well. I scored the same game as it was cheaper than buying the four assassin's seperately( and free minis!)
    I like most the differences in texture. From the fabric, metal and stone. Really fine work! Some anti-Imperial character is going to be really unhappy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! Those assassins are offensively expensive individually.

      Delete