Sunday, January 21, 2018

'BFG' from EvanH: Shooting the Messenger

When a human army wants a horde of Ogres to surrender, it's best not to assume familiarity with civilised notions of diplomacy. An invitation to parley may be answered in a more direct manner than the usages of chivalry would ordinarily allow.

Now be sure to tell 'em, we're not going anywhere!

In this case, the invitation to parley has been given to an unfortunate Gnoblar to return, with a suitably insulting refusal. He's clearly not terribly enthusiastic for his new role as diplomatic messenger.


I did not sign up for this!
The Leadbelcher who's been tasked with sending him on his way is a scarred veteran of many a workplace health and safety incident.


Anyone got a match?
I've had a bunch of these guys in the pile for years now, languishing in undercoat hell. The last time I worked on them was nearly six years ago - so much for motivation! Figuring it was the closest thing I had matching the theme, I decided to get to work on converting one of them into something whimsical. Thankfully, his cannon was roomy enough to take a tiny goblinoid!



I've painted him up to match the rest of the army, with red warpaint and a bronze gut plate, though the blue-and-white striped trousers give him the look of an Obelix from Hell. The scroll was sculpted from green stuff and pinned into the gnoblar's hand.



The basing is a departure from my usual pumice paste, since I'd had a pot of Citadel's Agrellan Earth lying around doing nothing and thought I'd give it a go. It turned out better than I expected, giving a very nice dry claypan soil look to the base.


The figure itself is a bit over 40mm tall, so that should net me a princely seven points. Dunno how you score a half a Gnoblar though...

That's all for this round - hope you like it!

Stay tuned...

Ev  

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Says man who submits an exquisitely painted gorilla in warpaint. That's thinking outside the padded cell!
      XD

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! Fantastic idea for a conversion and those striped trousers are very natty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Evan. This should open diplomatic relations, no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a serious warped and twisted man and I mean that in the nicest way! Brilliant - the Obelix from Hell nearly had me spit my latte out! Great work on the cracked earth - looks like my backyard last August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much Obelix as "Oh, bollocks!", at least from the point of view of the unfortunate Gnoblar...

      Delete
  5. Great work, Ev! That gobbos going back, post paid.

    I don't want to know what you'd do with a theme called 'Diplomatic Pouch' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, Obelix gone bad is great and the goblin isn't going quietly into the night!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, though I'm worried that I can't throw, launch or fire a goblin in the next round; definite theme emerging here!

      Delete
  7. Hilarious entry, Evan! I think the gnoblar doth protest too much. I like the stripped trousers, contrasts really well with the ogryn's skin and equipment!
    I'm sure you can devise a suitable musical instrument to torture/maim goblin kind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. > Dunno how you score a half a Gnoblar though...
    Depends where he hits the target mate! :-) Very entertaining Ev, love the composition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, I do try for the whimsical approach!

      Delete