Sunday, January 7, 2018

'Flight' from GregB: Preventing Flight

This group is more anti-flight...quad 20mm AA gun in 15mm from Battlefront

The contemplation of these bonus rounds often leads my mind toward unproductive flights of fancy - I think of figures or models I could order to really try and "hit one out of the park".  But the reality of shipping times is such that such delusions seldom work out - and in fact, the point of the Challenge is to tackle your existing lead pile.  And so that is what I did for this bonus round - for "Flight", I thought to focus on, you know, the prevention of "flight".


Useful against air AND ground troops...big factor in 1944/45...

Of course flying is wondrous and marvelous.  But on our gaming tables, flying stuff is generally a pain in the @ss that is probably coming to wreck your sh!t.  That is annoying. Hence, the fun in deploying anti-aircraft guns like this one, a German quad-20mm rig from World War 2.  This in 15mm and the castings are from Battlefront.


Multi-part model made of metal...just like wargames figures SHOULD be...
I don't mind "Flames of War", but I also tend to play games like "Battlegroup" and "Chain of Command" in 15mm as well. An my preferred period within WW2 is later Eastern Front.  In this time, the Germans cannot count on the Luftwaffe, and hard-pressed AA units found themselves not only trying to keep the Red Air Force at bay, but were also pressed into duty as frontline combat units.


I may try and finish the other two guns from the battery during the Challenge...we;ll see...
For dual-role purposes, this quad-20mm will come in handy, punching out Sturmoviks while mowing down motor rifle troops in the doomed defence of various pockets and positions. It has been sitting in the "pending" pile/hoard for painting purposes for over a year, so nice to get it finished, and contribute the spirit of the Challenge - a small dent in my lead pile. 

13 comments:

  1. Very cool! I've some of these guns to paint during the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a ferocious looking weapon. Great work on this dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A clever twist on the theme Greg and very well executed too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve always been a fan of the German 20mm great looking weapon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh.. love it.. anti-flight.. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work Greg - I like the chipping on the gun shield and the detail work is top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work, I echo the comments on the gun chipping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice - the chipping works really well at this scale and I like the twist on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great adaptation of the theme, and really nice painting. Super weathering as well !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Antiflight indeed! My Cadian 7th are looking into hydra tanks just because of! ;)
    Nice work on this, Greg! I like the chipping and weathering on the shield, some grand detail picked out on the crew too!

    ReplyDelete