Sunday, January 21, 2018

'BFG' from KyleC: Medieval Cannon


Bonus round again?

So although we all know that BFG stands for Big Friendly Giant, I thought to go down a different route ;) And take it for Big Fecking Gun :D Poor humour, but stay with me its early while writing this...




This is the War of the Roses Bombard kit from Perry's Miniatures, including mantlet and 6 crew. Nice piece of kit all cast in metal. The base I have is a 200x80mm movement tray from Warbases that has a 5mm lip around it. Am still trying to figure out why I didn't flip the tray and use the fully flat section instead of the recessed side, but that is for another Kyle to figure out in a parallel universe.



You can also see here that I was silly and assembled it all together onto the base, figures included, and painted it as one piece. Starting with a base layer of colors being applied by the brush in the photo above. Easier to cover large areas when the brush is almost as big as the base. Plenty of wet on wet applications made here with various brown, red, and beige tones.


Even the detailing or next levels of colors were applied fairly rough before going in with a ton of micro washes throughout. But it was about here that I was beginning to see it take shape.



The only piece not painted while working on the whole scene was the Mantlet door itself. Which I kept separate until the end so that I could reach the rope crew members.










And Voila! Add in copious amounts of grass tufts, and the Mantlet itself ( Which had the top part painted once it was applied ) and you have a finished Bombard set ready to take to the field. Although quite large, not fully out of place I would suspect on the battlefield!

Oh and did I mention that this was for Curt after discussing the topic with him? Except I have freedom to paint it up as I wished? Yeah.. shipping this will be interesting and I suspect that Mantlet to fall off... just saying...

So.. BOOM! Goes this gun.. enjoy!

29 comments:

  1. Wonderfully painted and based giant there Kyle :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, the large base actually made painting it easier!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I knew I threw down the gauntlet but I didn't think you'd pull it off in the time allowed - Bravo Kyle! The vignette looks tremendous; what a beast. I really like the groundwork and how the mantlet turned out. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I had planned to get it done soonish.. so this was a good excuse. And I had a few hours to kill on Saturday, so why not ;)
      Just hope it all survives well enough when being shipped to you! Its packed well, but you never know with the post services!

      Delete
  3. That trily is an awesome piece of ordnance well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was a bit of a pain to figure out how it all went together.. hope I did it justice in the end!

      Delete
  4. We're getting a bit of a theme emerging here, what with all these medieval guns... Another spectacular effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would have thought... that BFG stood for Big Freaking Gun! :D Am liking all the variety though and the styles that emerged this time around!

      Delete
  5. absolutely gorgeous, really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice piece here. The groundwork and arrangement look great and really set the story of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Byron. Wanted it to be a bit different, and not knowing Curt's army basing ( should have done research... autumn.. damnit.. ) I wanted it to fit with in any grouping..

      Delete
  7. This is great! I am loving all of these dangerous-looking medieval artillery pieces in the Challenge (and in this theme round). Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. brilliant, although building it and then painting is a mental move

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think I would learn to stop doing this, but um.. no.. no I do not..

      Still I am surprised at how well it came out in the end. Though I think the planning of the figures placement on the base helped on how easy it was to reach some of them.

      Delete
  9. Wow, that's incredible! Lovely work and great to see the in process shots along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I figured I should show a few of them as I didn't think people would believe me when I said I painted the figures on the base already attached!

      Delete
  10. Great looking gun and nice to see the work in progress shots it's a really impressive diorama.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Much appreciated for the comment.

      Delete
  11. Just beautiful Kyle. Wonderfully painted and composed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I had to play around with the rocks for a bit before I settled on this set up. Think it came out well indeed. Cheers

      Delete
  12. That is outright gorgeous, Kyle! I'll give you a couple years before the excitement of a build gets you fixing everything in place BEFORE painting again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I will need years.. probably just a couple of weeks ;)

      Delete