Sunday, January 21, 2018

'BFG' from KenR: WWI British 8" Howitzer


What better than a really big gun for the BFG bonus round entry  !

So here we have some Really Heavy Artillery for WWI, an 8" Howitzer, when you realise that the crew figures are just about as tall as the wheels you get an idea of how big this bad boy was.



The gun and the 6 crew figures are 28mm in scale and are made by the Honourable Lead who do a small range of BIG WWI Artillery (available here). I've added a few ammo boxes and sand bags to the base. In fact I had to beg the base off a friend because I had nothing big enough.



The great thing about the bonus rounds is getting to paint stuff I probably wouldn't have bothered with or got round to. I always fancied one of these huge beasts but thought "why bother I probably won't use it" however this bonus round was just the excuse I needed, so Thank You Curt.



Those who follow my painting adventures will know that WWI Mesopotamia is one of my loves and I have painted this in that collections style. Unfortunately none of these beasts were used in that Campaign, however 2 arrived in Palestine in 1917 and were used in that closely related (in terms of geography and troops involved) series of battles.

I have painted the gun itself in the standard dark khaki green for British Artillery of the time. I haven't been able to find a picture of the gun in Palestine but the photos I do have of British Guns in Mesopotamia seem (they are black and white) to show the guns still painted in there basic green rather than a desert sand colour.

I enjoyed putting this together, I might need some new rules for damage if we get round to using it.




22 comments:

  1. Terrific work, Ken, that's one helluva BFG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan, they do say, if you're going big, go BIG !

      Delete
  2. KABOOM - oh wow, this is great! I have some HLBS stuff, but none of their artillery - so cool to see one finished up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg, it's a nice addition to the collection

      Delete
  3. You've nailed it - I love this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, fantastic, so Palestine after Iraq, sounds like a plan!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's a real beauty Ken, well done. I'm glad the bonus round prompted you to get one of these done up for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is an ordinance launcher! Brilliant looking base and create for it too. I really like the massive wheels. I'd just use a dinner plate to mark the impact! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might just be right there David, a dinner plate, good idea.

      Delete