Sunday, January 21, 2018

'BFG' from TeemuL: Ultramarine Plasma Cannon

After painting that Astra Militarum lascannon for last week's entry, there has been understandably some questions in the air about my BFG submission. That lascannon would have been a great entry, but I just couldn't wait for a whole week to post it. So I did something else. While this plasmacannon might not be as big as a lascannon, it is still hugely impressive.



I decided to go a bit oldschool with this miniature, choosing to paint it with Ultramarine colors they used use in 80s and 90s, so yellow trims instead of gold and red guns instead of black. I used the Goblin Green base with green sawdust as well. I didn't use any washes either, which were not that common in the past. The miniature is relative new, though, it was only yesterday (15 years ago or so), when I bought this one. Just before the assembly I opened the blister pack, where it had been all those years.



So it is a relatively new miniature with relatively old painting techniques. But then again, I made something new, instead of drybrushing, I tried some layering on the gun, but it didn't work very well, and some edge highlighting on the power armor, which wasn't that bad. Only drybrushes are on the plasma coils on the gun (and the "OSL glow" on the gun next to it. The chapter and squad markings are painted freehand.




It is a bit mixed miniature in many ways then and should score me 5 more points.


8 comments:

  1. Nice job Teemu - definitely a BFG there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a personal sized weapon! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Space Marine portable' does not necessarily equal 'portable' for us regular mortals. So yep, that's a BFG alright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking retro space marine heavy weapons type!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, a Plasmacannon with a marine attached. Well done Teemu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments and votes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work Teemu! The plasma weapons are my favorite weapon to give marines and the plasma cannon is definitely a marine BFG! ;)

    ReplyDelete