Sunday, January 21, 2018

'BFG' from PaulOG: FIW Royal Artillery

My entry for the BFG round is an emplaced Royal Artillery field piece to support my British FIW army that I painted in AHPC VII.  Now Alan's French and Canadiens will have to content with bombardment, ball and shot while my ranks of Redcoats advance with cold steel!



I know what you're thinking - 'nice, but is it really "Big" for a BFG Bonus round?' Well big is a relative term and in the FIW campaigns along the frontier, there wasnt a lot of artillery.  Most were emplaced in fortifications or brought up for specific sieges but in general, columns didn't have guns attached.  So dropping a 12 pounder onto the table makes it a BFG indeed!



Figs are by Front Rank and I have used a large sabot base from Charlie Foxtrot models, which gave me the space to do a nice dioramic front with the gabions.    The crew of 5 is for Sharpe Practice - our FIW rules of choice. Front Rank also impressed by providing alternate barrels for the gun carriage.  In the pics above the larger 12 pounder barrel is shown.  Here is the smaller alternative they provide in the pack, allowing me to field it as a 9 or even a 6 pounder.



After time away from painting Lace Wars era uniforms, I found these a bit of a struggle - not sure how I managed 50+ of them last challenge!   In toto thats one field gun (10 points), 5 crew (25 points at 5 points each) and the 50 bonus points for a total of 85.

13 comments:

  1. So cool! The removal of the individual figures is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a handy base, and the alternative barrels are useful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work. It's funny, I was planning to do some artillery bases for my Napoleonic project using gabions and here you posted the perfect example; I'm keeping the photos in my folders for reference and inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific vignette, Paul, I shall have to look at stealing your ideas!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. great stuff, lovely looking all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, the vignette is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see some Lace Wars figures in the bonus round- and nicely done they are too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking gun emplacement with crew, very nice indeed!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone! Most appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super stuff Paul. I never get tired of looking at Front Rank miniatures and you've done a cracking job on these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The crew looks really good, Paul! I like the cannon too, it's painted just as well as the crew. I don't envy them the effort of lugging that piece around!
    Rogers and his rangers captured a fort by using multiple flags and raising a ruckus where the French thought there was regiments surrounding them. They also used a tree stump and cart wheels to fabricate a cannon. In the gloom of the tree line, the French thought a 12 pounder was aimed at them! ;)

    ReplyDelete