Sunday, January 7, 2018

'Flight' from PeterD: Fliegerkorps X

A flight of BF110s shepherds two flights of Stukas over the Mediterranean


What do you know I actually got a bonus round in this challenge.  I was not expecting as this as I have a very busy work schedule this coming Winter.  My service role is doubling from 1/3 to 2/3 of my time and while my teaching role stays constant at 2/3 of my time (and yes I teach in a math department).  Also we are hiring to replace a retiring faculty colleague and I am chair of the Search Committee.  But I found these in the lead pile and what do you, presto change we have a flight entry.

These are elements of Luftwaffe Fliegerkorps X, an anti shipping unit transferred from Norway to Sicily in early 1941 to help the Axis war effort against the Royal Navy.  We have two Me 110Cs and four JU 87R1s (Stukas).  The models are 1:1200 scale produced by CAP Aero and available from Last Square or Magister Millitum depending on which side of the pond you're sitting on.  They made an immediate impact in Operation Excess most notably crippling HMS Illustrious while proving the toughness of RN carriers with armoured fight decks.  The models are small (about the size of small micro armour vehicles) but convey the essence of the aircraft quite nicely.  They were primed years ago to go with my 1:2400 WW2 Naval project before that got mothballed.





I've painted these in a very simple desert sand upper sides with pale blue-grey under sides and silver canopies.  Brief research showed either this pattern or desert camps and I don't have the head space for camo in 1:1200 right now.  There is a band of white around the rear fuselage which I've included, but I excluded the teeny tiny Black Crosses.

Basing in my normal cheap ass, impatient but works style.  Florist wire was bent into stands and glued to small roughly circular card bases.  By painting the wires black they tend to disappear at any distance (old magicians trick there) and the end end result looks better than it has any right to.





So that's six 1:1200 aircraft, I'll leave that Curt to work out the points value but I'd guess it would be similar to a small scale land vehicle.


16 comments:

  1. Nice work Peter. The mounting is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy - the mounting is a complete bodge that is way more effective than it has any right to be!

      Delete
  2. Cool stuff Peter - great to see so many old projects getting attention in this round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg - it's more a grasp for points than a rekindling!

      Delete
  3. Excellent work on these tiny planes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Good job you kept these. Great idea to base them like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Peter! I look forward to seeing these on the table on an upcoming scenario. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, Peter. I love the way you've done these, with the basing, stands and camouflage. And what a terrific campaign to game - fantastic work and a great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Sidney - it's pretty quick'n'dirty stuff mostly but I'm quite pleased with the results.

      Delete
  7. And some more teeny aircraft! Nice work Peter, they do contrast exceedingly well with the basing!

    ReplyDelete