Sunday, January 21, 2018

'BFG' from JamesM: 'German' 15.5cm sFH 413(b) Battery

Hi folks,

My entry for BFG consists of one of the largest calibre weapons I have for my German Heer forces - some 15.5cm (155mm) guns! So these qualify as 'Big Friggin Guns'!



A year or so ago, while looking for info on the 89. Infanterie-Division in Normandy, I came across a post war intelligence interview that was held by US forces in July 1945. The individual being questioned was a Col. Neitzel, who had been an officer in this division. His answers to questions about the state of the division were really useful, especially this entry:




So, with a brain worm about German units fielding French 15.5cm guns, I did some more digging. The Germans captured a unspecified number of French 'Canon de 155 C Modele 1917 Schneider' guns, and pressed them into service. Mainly as coastal defence guns, but also to equip 2nd line infantry divisions. It seems like that type was the most likely candidate! So given the range of captured French kit the Germans had access to, these guns also come under 'Best Friggin Guess...'!

The battery consists of 4 guns, each with 5 crew. I went with the pneumatic tyres on the guns, as period pictures showed a mix of both types - and I found the 'cart wheel' style wheels made the guns look too much like a WW1 battery!









I've gone with my usual basing scheme, to fit them in with the rest of my forces. I did go for a simple attempt at camo on the guns, using a stipple effect. As usual, I highlight over the camo - while it can look a little odd close up, it really helps the models pop on the table, while the camo effect is still there.





Models are from Battlefront - German gun crew special order pack and French Tirailleurs Heavy Artillery Battery (FRX08) - which has left me with a load of French Tirailleurs gun crew spare! Due to a lack of planning on my part, these guys were finished in 3 days, which might be some sort of record for me! 

Still messing with my light box, so a range of quality of images here!

4 x 15mm scale guns = 16 points
20 x 15mm crew = 40 points
Total = 56 points

16 comments:

  1. Great entry James, and some cracking background and history. I had no idea about the German use of captured French heavy artillery but it makes perfect sense. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nive battery, a unique unit with an interesting history. A very fine entry to this theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice , btw the gun can be got through special order (if its in stock) , FRO507 155mm C mle 1917 S howitzer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was cheaper to buy the box set rather than the 4 individual guns!

      Delete
  5. It's been pointed out to me that the captured French version of these guns was called the 15.5cm sFH414(f). The 15.5cm sFH413(b) was the version of the same gun the Germans captured from the Belgian army! There were other names for those they captured from the Poles, Greeks, Italians, Yugoslavians and Russians! Pretty widely used gun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the history behind the guns another great entry James

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work, your highlighting achieves a great effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I am guessing that ehen those guns get cracking they will turn that lovely lawn with flowers into a bog in no time. Great basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice bone dry Norman fields! I’ve actually done a darker static grass under the ‘track’ of the wheels, but it’s not visible in the pictures.

      Delete
  9. What a cool entry - loved the background here, and great brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the history lesson on the repurposed French howitzers. Nicely done James.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great bit of research and great bit of painting

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely guns and your trademark basing, it's great the way all the old kit got reused in the Normandy campaign, with of course the correct classification!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a magnificent battery, James! I like the lay of the cannon on the bases and with the tires they have a nice heavy look to them. I'm amazed at the detail on the arty crew too, they look better than my 28's! ;)

    ReplyDelete