Sunday, January 7, 2018

'Flight' from JamesM: I love the smell of burning promethium... 3mm Jetbikes and Speeders

Hi folks,

My contribution to the 'Flight' Bonus Round comes via Vanguard Miniatures 3mm "Dominion: The Wars of Tusculum Nova", part of their 'Defeat in Detail' range.

I obtained these pre-release models last month in order to paint up, so they are not currently available to buy. My collection uses the Vanguard 3mm models as proxies for a 3mm Horus Heresy Ultramarine army. Hence the blue, 'gold' and white scheme.



This batch consists of a Jet Bike Turma, which is 3 bases of 6 Jetbikes each.

















As well as 4 'wings' of Speeders - 2 with Anti Tank and 2 with Anti Personnel weapons:


AT Speeders


AP Speeders
Missile Launching AP speeders


'Lascannon' armed Speeders


Assault Cannon armed Speeders


Heavy Bolter armed speeders
These models are 3mm scale, but the vehicles are more like 10mm models. Painting the shoulder trims on the 3mm crew was a bit of a nuisance...

Here is the whole lot along with some of the Ultramarine proxy infantry, painted previously:



Bases are MDF with milliput craters and heavy energy weapon scars. Note in the last picture I remembered to add the tufts!

Total of 18 Jetbikes and 12 Speeders. 3mm vehicles are variable points, but they are the same size as my 10mm ACW models, so I would go for 1 point each.

23 comments:

  1. These are awesome! I love the basing, especially the scorch marks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The craters and such were care of a tutorial on YouTube, though I did the laser impacts myself.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, enhanced by the basing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on getting them done they look awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! Worth the time spent... though perhaps not for the scale!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They are nice - I took off the stands that come with and replaced with paper clips.

      Delete
  5. Gah.. how do you paint something so small!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience and a need for self harm!!! I use a magnifier for the shoulder pads on these guys now, else it gets hard to focus!

      Delete
  6. Wow such detail on such teeny tiny little models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. They are great Models to paint, and I think they would look good with a much plainer scheme than I’ve used as well!

      Delete
  7. Brilliant work James. The painting is terrific and I love the shell-cratered bases you've created for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt - just a little bit of milliput on the bases and some GW technical paint for the sun cracked earth effect.

      Delete
  8. Terrific submission, with great painting and fine groundwork (including explosion scorching) on the bases. I love to see Sci-Fi in this scale. Great work, James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sidney, I’ve more to do when I get sick of German artillery!

      Delete
  9. Those are very nice, James! Same size as epic? The jet bikes are wonderful,and the detail on the land speeders is fantastic! And such a wee scale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David - I'm not sure how they scale against Epic models. I think the Jetbikes might be smaller than epic scale bikers, and I'm pretty sure the speeders will be smaller as Vanguard do make a 6mm version I believe. The infantry are a bit smaller as well, though his 3mm range is truescale, so the Stalkers (Titan analogues) look properly massive and I think the standard human infantry will be smaller than the Elites/Marines.

      Delete
  10. Hi Nice work on these James, to answer a few questions here the entire 3mm line is a direct 50% reduction in size of my 6mm models so the Elites infantry for example are 4mm tall being super soldiers but regular human infantry will be 3mm in height. Vehicles are much smaller than regular epic scale models.

    ReplyDelete