Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from JamesM: Polish Sextons

Hi folks!

My first Challenge related post and first entry having moved house in the first week... and only having picked up a paint brush for the first time since the move last weekend!

I'm combining this Theme entry with my own current focus (Gunuary!) and sticking with the models I'm now a little notorious for (British WW2 Armour). As such my entry consists of a battery of 4 x 25pdr armed Sextons SPGs. While they are artilley, they are 'Armoured' artillery!



These four guns are from 2 Pulk Artylerii Motorowej (2nd Polish Motorised Artillery Regiment) of the 1st Polish Armoured Division. These are to join my 24th Polish Lancers.



As usual with my 15mm models, I've done my best to add the correct decals to these vehicles. These are mainly from Doms Decals. I couldn't find many pictures of Polish Sextons, so had to just do the best I could with the decal placement.

The vehicles are 15mm Sextons (BR172) from Battlefront and will be used in Flames of War and Battlegroup.



Each model has been personalised with stowage, radio aerials have been added and the 3 crew painted.  Basing has been done in my normal style to fit in with the rest of my 'Operation Totalise' forces, and I've used some Tamiya Weathering product to attempt a dusty effect.






I ran out of time a little, and would like to add some spend shell casings on the ground around the guns. Perhaps in the future!

33 comments:

  1. Nice work James - last time I saw these I think they'd just been primed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, rush job to get these done in the week!

      Delete
  2. Very nice, got to like a group of Sextons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now to fight the head weasels which demand I get another 4 to finish the battery...

      Delete
  3. Love seeing the Pols represented

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, I've plans to do a few more Polish units as well.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - I've had a little practice at painting that particular shade of green!

      Delete
  5. Nice one James. The antennae are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod, minor detail thats really easy to add, so no reason not to. I normally have two on the command vehicle, but decided keep them all the same this time round.

      Delete
  6. Wow, beautiful work James! Very neat paintwork and great bases as well. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt - I think most FoW players shudder when they see the based tanks!

      Delete
  7. Great work on these artillery platforms mate, the basing is very complementary as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A unit that would grace any FOW battle. Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! I forgot the obligatory penny in the pictures!

      Delete
  10. Great Sextons James, nice to see some Polish armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - very pleased to have had a chance to do them, the Polish forces have a home connection for me as some of the units were based around my hometown in Lanarkshire. Very brave men who were treated very badly.

      Delete
  11. Nicely done! I quite like all the small details you used to pimp the individual vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try to make all my vehicles slightly different - no 2 you see in period pictures are exactly the same!

      Delete
  12. Very fine armour, James!
    I do like your weathering and basing.
    Bravo on some Polish troops too. I'm still wanting to early/interwar. I just read on the Polish army that was fighting the Russians and Germans AFTER the goverment had surrendered. The fighting withdraw to friendly land and purchasing of time...true courage there!

    ReplyDelete