Sunday, January 22, 2017

'East' from AledC: Lord of the Rings Hasharin

For my east round submission I umm'd and ahh'd for a good long while as to what to paint. I have a WW2 Japanese force, for use in Bolt Action or Chain of Command, that needs painting but I am still undecided has to how I want to go about painting them. I have some confederate infantry for the American Civil War that I thought may fit the theme if I stretched it. But I just wasn't comfortable with either of these. Sure I could have just done up some more of my Arabs, "they're from the middle east, too easy right?". I thought that wasn't in the spirit of a 'bonus round' so went back to thinking.


Again sorry for bad photos :/

Then I remembered that I had one of the assassin models from the Games Workshop Lord of the Rings range, the one that was meant to be from Harad. Brilliant! Yes I know the Haradrim are also called Southrons and an Easterling would be more appropriate but this model will be more useful and can be used, as of recent year, as a typical 'Eastern Assassin'. (Perhaps one with a creed or too?)




The Hasharin (pl. Hasharii) were a Harad Order founded in Sauron's name. The despotic lords who ruled Harad exercised their will through them. To question or contradict the will of a Hasharin led to death, whether by public execution or through the quiet application of their murderous skills. On the battlefield, the Hasharii acted as assassins, seeking out enemy leaders and slaying them with poisoned blades.
A Hasharin wore many layers of clothing, concealing all of his body and most of his head - only his eyes could be seen. Many weapons were tied to his waist with a fabric belt.


- Games Workshop, The Lord of the Rings: Strategy Battle Game.



I plan to use him in all manner of ways. He'll serve well as a target in some skirmish scenarios or as a scout model for others. Or maybe just to place near my opponent's general to make them feel nervous. No matter what I use him for I am happy to have him painted after having him in a box for oh so very long.

Not much of a submission, but I'm pleased.

Cheers,
Aled.

16 comments:

  1. Nice one mate - looking forward to seeing him on the table soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice colors on him, Aled!
    One of the many LotR models I wish I bought too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work on this old figure, Aled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an evil looking blade he has. nice one. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Original entry, and a lovely model

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on the figure, Aled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done. Truly Eastern in a fantasy setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sneaky and sinister. I bet getting poked with that sickle/dagger/pruning hook thingy hurts. Creative use of this figure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great interpretation of the theme. He looks to be a rather shifty fellow, to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very smart, and suitably stealthy. And very, very Eastern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done, good choice for the theme.

    ReplyDelete