Sunday, January 22, 2017

'East' from AdamC: Charting a Course to the East


I was stuck with this bonus round, I didn't have any miniatures that seemed to suggest the Far East or the Eastern front or even a good rabbit figure for Easter.   Finally I remembered this fellow from the Brigade Games Town folk set.  A mariner with a sextant. 


I had been at a loss as to what to do with him the action he his engaged in is distinctly tied to being on board a ship.  One generally doesn't  try to work out latitude and longitude when on land (OK maybe if your on an overland trek say the Sahara you might).  


Further more other than his breaches his costume is distinctly outside the 17th and 18th century dress of the rest of this set of figures.  He found life in this bonus round.  I live outside Boston a city with a rich Maritime history if you set out by sea from Boston you start off heading East, you just can't help it.  Your destination might be Europe, California, or Asia but but you start off heading east.


The uniform colors are of my own creation, inspired by a number of images I found though I did not do an extensive study as I only decided on this figure on Tuesday and painted him up in one night.

I will probably use him as a display piece or he might find his way on my friend Mike Paine's Pulp table which he calls "Hanghai", He'd look good on any number of the ships in the harbour.

33 comments:

  1. Nicely done Adam - good interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nautical compass! ;)
    Fine job, Adam! I like the planking on the base too.
    The Hanghai table look like a lot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific work on this seafarer, Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaarrr, he be a fine figure.
    I love Boston, such a lovely city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I was a tour guide on the freedom trail for a few years, one of my favorite jobs.

      Delete
  5. A Splendid Chap. I come from the home of Will Adams, the first English man to reach Japan, (on a Dutch ship) he became a Samurai but was originally signed on as the ships Navigator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm familiar with the story, it was one of the first thoughts I had when I saw the East theme.

      Delete
  6. That is a cool figure - well done Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work! I confess I have no idea how to use a sextant, but I love your figure and the idea behind it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't trust my own navigation with one but I am glad you like the figure.

      Delete
  8. Nice choice for the theme, well done Adam.

    ReplyDelete