Sunday, February 5, 2017

'Home' from Curt: The Home of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru


I was flipping through a book on famous movie sets the other day and came across a section on the Tunisian film location for Luke Skywalker's home on Tatooine. I immediately felt nostalgic on seeing the iconic domed habitat, the moisture vapourators and Luke's battered landspeeder. So I thought I'd create a small vignette depicting the home of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, seen during quieter times, before galactic events changed everything.

I found these models as 3D files on Thingiverse and adapted them to my purposes. They were originally much larger designs but I wanted something compact, so I scaled them down to something approximating a 10mm scale. 


Luke's landspeeder has been fiddled with a bit to make it thinner, elongated and somewhat stylized. I tried to keep to the salmon coloured paint scheme seen in the film.  




Sarah asked whether I was going to put in Luke or perhaps 3PO and R2D2, but I decided not to. To be honest I've always liked set-piece scenes where the characters are not seen. Sometimes the absence of things says more than having them there. It gives the impression that something is happening out of sight, and so your mind naturally starts to question and provide a plausible narrative. Maybe Luke has just come home from checking on the farm's distant moisture condensers? Or maybe he's just said farewell to his friend Biggs and is now home for supper, trying to convince his aunt and uncle to let him join the academy. For me, the absence of characters makes the scene more compelling and interesting.  

 
This entry is also my thank you gift to DaveB for his hard work being our Thursday Minion this year. Dave has always been a great supporter of everybodys' work in the Challenge (and I mean everyone) and I can't tell you how much it's appreciated. I know Dave is an ardent Star Wars fan, so I thought he'd appreciate this token of my appreciation. Thank you very much Dave!

Okay, this is the end of the 'Home' gallery. Please remember to take the time to vote for all your favourite submissions.

Thanks!

15 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff, can't believe they are so small, look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely little scene Curt. You are having lots of fun with his 3D printing toy aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely piece of work Curt, beautifully rendered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Curt! I totally agree about it being more interesting simply because there are no characters to be seen. A fine way to say thanks indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hundred shades of very cool. Nicely done! cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. More 3d printing! Superb stuff Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! The absence of figures gives it a nice "diorama" feel, like the ones you see in architects firm.

    Knowing my love of the macabre, I probably would'nt have resisted the lure of including two halft burned skeletons...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well doesn't this just touch the star wars in all of us! Really brings to life sentimentality of the film in one small piece. Excellent work Curt!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely teeny tiny vignette.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great diorama Curt - you are a lucky man Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was great fun to create and I hope Dave likes it.

    ReplyDelete