Sunday, February 5, 2017

'Home' from IainW: Italian Wars Makeshift Camp

Home for many during the Great Italian Wars was either some sort of rude shelter made of thatch, a branch and sod structure or a tent. These I have done my best to model.


We have the thatch type shelter


The sod and branch type


The basic tent ( A Rendera model)


And the more upmarket tent ( The top is a Rendera bell tent)


These are the images I was working from





I ran out of time to do the fire and the shelter housing the barrels but they and a baggage train will follow in due course. The figures are from last weeks entry just to give some scale.

All the best
Iain


20 comments:

  1. Some lovely canvas there, Iain - that's all the home a mercenary soldier got most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great little camp, Iain! Now which one is the beer tent? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I haven't finished the beer tent, I guess I should of prioritised it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. It's a very cool camp. I always like seeing stuff like this in the background of a gaming table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod, yes I agree it's nice to have a bit of additional specific scenery, I think scenery is what I'll be doing for a while after the challenge.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  4. Temporary homes are still homes. A very pleasing entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great entry. I really like the fact that you were working off of a period illustration for your inspiration - respect for your history and modelling skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Padre, it was a great couple of evenings knocking these out and I've been meaning to do them for ages!
      Best Iain

      Delete