Sunday, February 19, 2017

'West' from AdamC: Soixante-Quinze Artillery on the Western Front

I am slowly working on Great war army.  I'm planning on it being a US force but I had picked up these French artillery pieces as support units.  Most US formation had their own artillery but during the spring offensive of 1918 allied units were often put into the line on an ad hoc basis.  These will make excellent supports for my Flames of War Great war army when and if it ever sees the field.


I had to mix my own version of Horizon Blue as nothing in my paint kit looked quite right. I wanted to make the bases look like the muddy Western Front of the popular imagination and I am very pleased with how they came out.


The caisson are supposed to go on the accrual base but that seemed to crowed to my eyes so did them on separate based.


Points wise there are ten men and two guns for 28 points.  I don't know if the caissons should count separately or as part of the guns I leave that to the Snow Lords judgement.


Now its time for a drink to celibate the completion of his project

14 comments:

  1. Very nice Adam! For my wedding in October last year, a friend got 'us' a brass French 75mm 1914 Shell casing. Very unusual wedding gift - not sure my wife was as amused as I was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that is an awesome gift! (Well, maybe not for a wedding...)

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't have minded such a gift for my wedding... my wife would have been confused :)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous work Adam! I've always wanted to do a small diorama of a 1914 gun team firing its last and these would do the trick perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb mon ami! The horizon bleu is indeed tricky to get right but you managed it kind sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice and those boys do look muddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Adam. The mucky bases look particularly well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, I look forwards to getting some French some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed, I think you've done a good job on the bases too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work on these 75s, Adam, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little mixology lore, the cocktail French 75 was apparently "invented" in 1915 by the barman at the New York Bar in Paris. The drinks ingredients are so powerful a combination that it felt like being shelled by the French 75 field gun.
    Salut!

    ReplyDelete