Sunday, February 5, 2017

'Home' from SidneyR: A Laarden Townhouse


For the themed round entitled “Home”, I painted up one of the fine Hovels buildings in 25mm from their Flemish range.  I felt this would be a simple, quick painting task to fit with my schedule, but it turned out to be a little more involved.  Resin buildings reward time and effort, but they can also be tricky to paint - almost like painting a very large figure in miniature.




One day I dream of having a dozen or so of these stately buildings, on a fully laid out town plan, surrounded by a low city wall for a perfect siege game.  I’ve counted this as my fifth (painted after about two years), so there’s some way to go.  It’s partly that idea which keeps me painting one every year or so, all with the aim of making a living, breathing (if fictional) 17th Century town for the regiments and battalia of Laarden to occupy.

18 comments:

  1. Truly magnificent domicile Sidney :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice bit of terrain, superbly painted. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely, Sid. The brickwork is especially effective. Tell us about the sign. What does it signify, and was it part of the model, or your own addition?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely building that screams out the period it's from.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a really nice piece, but your brushwork really makes it stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like your painting of this - think will get my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super nice!! It does feel like a giant superbly painted miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Sidney! I do really like Hovels as they have a very quint feel about them and for resin are very reasonably priced.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work Sid! I especially like the great touch of the overhead sign.
    I've always had a soft spot for the stuff from Hovels - they look so nice on the tabletop, especially when done-up like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cracking stuff .. it will be a fine town

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete