Sunday, February 5, 2017

'Home' from ClintB: Wherever I Lay my Hat, that's my Home

Home means many different things to many different people. For a soldier in Vietnam for example it might not mean Home back in the "World" That might be really home. So I have created a home in the form of a bunker/fox-hole. Home in this instance means a place to rest when not on patrol beyond the wire of the fire base.THE WIRE marks the boundary of their supposed neighbourhood, and Home means a place thye can relax and feel some safety. It is their temporary "home" not where they live back with family and friends but where they can rest their head in some level of safety. Not proper safety but in country "Safety"!

The Model is 1/72nd scale to fit in with the rest of my Vietnam collection. It could equally be used for any Pacific WW2 game.

It does have a covered area with a slit for a machinegun A place at least dry in the storms and wet season. It Is of course hastily erected and in the next few days sandbags will e placed on the roof to protect from mortars. But for a few days this will suffice. Not perfect by any stretch of imagination but in country not to shabby.



It was a huge amount of fun to paint and drape with foliage and will fit my Vietnam collection very well indeed. As with all my bonus rounds it is done to play its part on the table and not as a static display. Nothing wrong with display pieces at all but I am a wargamer so I will get the most enjoyment playing with this and not looking at it in a glass case.

As a final thought.
Television brought the brutality of war into the comfort of the living room. Vietnam was lost in the living rooms of America - not on the battlefields of Vietnam. Marshall McLuhan

So I guess it was lost in the homes of civilians.
Just My 5.56mm of input.

















28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin. I will have to make some "Hooch" for you to try!

      Delete
  2. That's a really nice build, Clint, well done - the more you look, the more you see, great detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am greatly appreciative of your comment Evan. One never knows how much a person will look/see.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Martin. I would imagine hot and sweaty rather than cool!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. Maybe Smiffy will make one as well.

      Delete
  5. Nice one! It really looks like straight from 'Apocalypse Now'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mioteri. I does need more sandbags to look truly authentic.

      Delete
  6. Lovely job and really useful.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caveadsum. My Vietnam collection is growing year on year.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Rod I was originally going to miss this bonus round due to lack of ideas. Just managed in time.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Barks. yes it has me in the mood for doing more.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. I know this era is not your thing so your comment is especially welcome.

      Delete
  10. Nice piece of scratch building. It would work from Vietnam to Saipan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I agree it would work anywhere in the pacific from 1900 to present day.

      Delete
  11. Great work, very evocative of the Vietnam forest and fauna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian Nick. I want to play many more Vietnam games this year. (I have played 1 so far and it was not a good set of rules!)

      Delete
  12. Very nice Clint I can feel the humidity coming off it.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher that is very kind of you to say.

      Delete
  13. Ooh, that is very good Clint. I really like your groundwork around the bunker as well. Top marks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt. I hope to do more on my own blog later in the year.

      Delete