Sunday, February 19, 2017

'West' from Curt: 'Herbert West - Reanimator'


Sorry folks, this one is a bit of a cheap shot. 

I didn't think I'd have anything for this round, but inspiration hit me late last night and I cracked this one off before I toodled off for bed.

Between October 1921 and June 1922 H.P. Lovecraft wrote 'Herbert West - Reanimator' as a serialized short story for a New England penny pulp magazine 'Home Brew'. 


It is pretty much acknowledged as Lovecraft's weakest work. He himself hated writing it, but could not turn down the $5 per installment offered by the publisher. 

Nonetheless, 'Reanimator' is notable for being one of the first depictions of zombies, and it has many interesting references to Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein', which Lovecraft much admired.

Notwithstanding that the original short story is pretty much crap, it was made into a 1985 film titled 'Re-Animator', starring Bruce Abbott. It retains cult status ('ahem excuse the geek double entendre) amongst Lovecraft dorks like me.


Recently, Peter Rawlik wrote an excellent retelling of Lovecraft's story, taken from the perspective of a rival researcher. If you are a fan of the Cthulhu oeuvre I very much recommend it.



The figure here is from the Strange Aeons' line from Uncle Mike. The figure is cast resin and the detail is a bit soft in places, but it remains suitably disturbing and macabre. I sliced down the base and made up a checked floor for that wonderful Evil Institutional look.





Thanks for looking through the gallery everyone! Please remember to vote for your favourite entries and check back next Saturday to see a recap on the results.

19 comments:

  1. Nice work, Curt - perhaps I should have gone further out on a limb on the interpretation of this theme!

    In any event, Mr West is splendid.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, sleep deprivation and mild panic allows the mind to come up with this silly sh*t. :)

      Delete
  2. Great work dude. And what is it about check floors that add to a disturbing atmosphere?

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, what's that all about?! Maybe its from having them in our high schools (which I've always connected with emotional dissolution and abject horror). ;)

      Delete
  3. This really is a little disturbing vignette... I really like the tiles on the base as well and the story is also very useful since I might get the Rawlik book for a friend who is a total Cthullu nutter! So thanks for this entry Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting and slightly disturbing miniature. Really well, especially that base!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work on this macabre figure Curt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost went with Adam West as Batman so can't fault you there!

    I'm also a big fan of the movie, and it's two sequels. You made a great piece, it's understated creepy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice (?)alright weird but good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone who can get a Lovecraft based figure into a challenge needs applause, and that is wonderfully painted. I've now got my daughter (19) into HPL's works too, so we'll check out the Rawlik book together

    ReplyDelete
  9. The movie is a CLASSIC! Love it. Great submission. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great fun! I'll see if I can chase the Rawlik down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only ever seen the cult remake and thought it was awful, but your mini is just great. Nice take on the West theme.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the theme and the figure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking fig Curt, and I agree with the disturbing nature of tiled white / black floors.... but then my sister did her room like that, so maybe thats where it comes from....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh I've been listening to a reading of Herbert West on a podcast. Agree - it's not really very good, particularly compared to Lovecraft's finer works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well that's some impressive work for one night Curt! I agree that the square tiles just give that sinister feel to things.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for all the kind words folks! It was a bit of a lark. :)

    ReplyDelete