Sunday, February 5, 2017

'Home' from PaulOG: Hearth and Home on the Ohio River

Presenting a frontier log cabin and its defenders for our French Indian War campaign: 
Protecting Hearth and Home against a War Party

The Ohio River valley is rugged place where settlers carve out their lives the hard way.  It's a tough existence and every cabin needs protection from raiders, thieves and worse.  So in addition to the homestead, there are six stout defenders (figs by Galloping Major).  Even the Parson needs to take up arms to defend his flock, but my favourite is the balding shopkeeper with the blunderbuss (Indian figures are not part of this round and were previously submitted).



I initially painted this Old Gory resin cabin with a grey, weathered look and while that was realistic it was a bit boring.  I have also been trying to put more colour on my tabletop lately; too many of my figures are drab greys, browns and greens.  So I stripped and repainted it as a more recently built cabin with freshly split shingles and newly hewn logs.  I’m glad I did and like the brighter overall look.  I also added a few sacks, barrels and to homewares from my bits box to give it a lived in feel.
The cabin has a removable roof and the interior has simple but nice detail which I have done in a worn, used style.  I have some furniture but left them out to make it more useable for gaming.  There is only the single door but each side has 1 or more windows from which to present defensive musketry.


Overall a fun project to build some needed FIW terrain for our table, and add an Armed Civilian unit to my Sharp Practice 2 force. Thanks to Alan for the donation of those figures (they only took 5 months to paint up mate!)

"To Arms! To Arms!"

9 comments:

  1. That's a lovely model and nicely painted Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely painted and furnished, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice model and I like it colourful!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great looking building Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely excellent work Paul and so wonderfully staged as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very nearly did a French Indian Log Cabin. Seeing this one though I am very glad the two were not compared I do not think the comparison would have favoured my work.

    ReplyDelete