Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from KyleC: Vickers VIB Western Desert


So like last year I have a ton of tanks to paint up, and this is a great chance to start in on them! Though one of the biggest regrets I have of some of my older ones is that the contrast on them is too low for gaming. Good for showcase at times, but terrible to see what or how they are doing on the table.

With that in mind, I have tried a new style and here is the prototype coloring!



As it is based on the British 8th Army as a starter, but then adapted for my Canadian forces, I was trying to figure out the best pattern to put on it.

Researching online I have seen many in this theatre of war had the black camo pattern on a desert colored base. So I have tried to replicate that on here.



The biggest change though aside from the camo was that I did not weather it as much as I had my other vehicles in the past. I instead with a muted washes throughout the armor to give it a bit more shaded look in areas compared to a "Wow.. who left this outside in the desert storm last night?" look that I had done with my crusaders previously.



And the final bit was that I then drybrushed the entire vehicle with a lighter khaki color. This was to give it a bit more of a pop in areas along the top. This is the table top experience more than anything as it really stands out now on the table more than it would be if everything was more muted.

Overall a fun little prototype and I have a armory of vehicles now to do up similar to this!

13 comments:

  1. It looks really good in this camo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! The final drybrush really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Pulls it away from the realism, but adds something to the piece for the table. Really happy how it came out even if I switched up some of my techniques on it!

      Delete
  3. LOL I was going to do a Mk 6 Vickers light tank, but seeing this one I am so glad I did not as I feel mine would not compare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your work on one mate! I think it would come out ace!

      Delete
  4. Very nice tank. Great to see so much Western Desert armour this round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Peter, this early armour extravaganza is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourite early light tanks and you've done a cracking job on him. The black cammo is ace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, and glad I got the camo down then.. will repeat it on some more coming up then!

      Delete
  7. Looking very good, Kyle! The desert scheme you've done looks really good as does the light dusting drybrush. It pops in all the right places!

    ReplyDelete