Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from SamuliS: Here Kitty Kitty

Being the boring engineer that I am I'm going with the obvious choice for the Armour themed round. Still to mark the occasion I couldn't just go with any old tank, but had to have something special. So the biggest and meanest of them all Jagdtiger. 128mm gun that could punch through anything and everything and armour that could withstand nearly any shots from the front. Also far too expensive, too heavy, too few and not very practical. What's not to love :)



I haven't taken part in themed rounds the last few painting challenges, but with a house renovation having me painting walls instead of miniatures I need any extra points that I can get. I still don't think I'll take part in all of them, but rather take part in those that fit into my ongoing projects. As I need some big kitties for a tournament coming up in a few weeks these were the perfect choice for the first bonus round.



I painted dark yellow with modulation in a few shades to make them pop followed by camouflage. I want to do all my big kitties a bit different to show the haphazard way units were put together in the last desperate months of the war, with vehicles pulled in from everywhere they could be found. The simple green stripes turned out rather nicely, not too happy about the other one though. The camo patches ended up a bit too large for my tastes, but going back and repainting it would have meant I would not have gotten it done for Sunday. Still after the washes it's looking a bit better now. I like my vehicles quite worn looking so heavy enamel washes were used as well as some streaking effects. All of this was topped of with liberal coating of a couple of mud effects. With a tight schedule these guys are actually still waiting for all the mud to dry so I can apply a final varnish layer. It's nearly midnight here and it'll probably still take a few hours so I'm taking pictures already and applying varnish later. Darn enamels and their massive drying times...






23 comments:

  1. The Jagdtiger - the most expensive pillbox ever built!

    Lovely work, Samuli - love that camo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it would be very silly to make bad pillboxes wouldn't it!

      Delete
  2. Great work on these puddy-cats Samuli :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One is bad enough, but what will you need two for?!

    Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why settle for one when you can have more :) Fielding a whole company would be interesting

      Delete
  4. Mad rush to get them into action.... well done! Have fun at the tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Samuli. That camo looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The modulation and weathering on those is fantastic. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice work Samuli. The 128mm gun reminds me of Patrik Laine's shot (he could have used some of that frontal armour in Buffalo this past weekend...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big guns are always great! Though I think Laine could have used some headlights in that situation as well, going in looking down probably wasn't the best move. Though the pass was into a bad position anyways and couldn't really have done anything to avoid being totaled.

      Delete
  8. Big cat goodness. Although I prefer early war I still like to see some big cats every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early War is the most iconic part of WW2 for me as well. Though the very last months did yield some interesting stuff as well with all the German ultra heavies and wunderwaffen.

      Delete
  9. Superbly done! The weathering is just the way I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scary kitties! Thankfully I've never had to face them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are big kitties! I recall an AH article that listed these things enemies as small mammals that eat the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on these monsters Samuli! I like the red-brown cammon on that one cat. Terrific stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nicely done Samuli. A Jagdtiger is on my to do list someday.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete