Sunday, January 22, 2017

'East' from AlanD: Retreat from Moscow


As far as I'm concerned, the modest range of retreat from Moscow French produced by the Perry twins are among the most beautiful and evocative miniatures available. Put them together with the perfectly compatible range of Poles from Murawski Miniatures, and it is now possible to make a sizeable force for the retreat of 1812. In the last couple of challenges I have painted up some infantry, but the combination of Sharp Practice 2 and the East Bonus round has inspired me to make a conerted push on the figures I have left.



The twelve cavalry here belong to three groups. The first are Hessian Chevau-Leger, some who have lost their impressive hemets, engaged in a desperate charge.






Then there is a group of French Chasseurs à Cheval. The Hessians and French are from the same set, which comes with a range of head options.



The final roup of three horsemen are skirmishers - a hussar, a cuirassier, and what I assume to be a lancer from the Vistula legion. His czapka is missing the distinctive plate on the front though - has it just fallen off in the retreat, or have I mis-identified the trooper?





With these figures I think I have finally come up with some decent snow basing. I'm always intimidated trying to do snow with all you Canadians looking on, and especially Curt 'Snow Lord' himself. For these bases, I mixed Woodland Scenics snow with PVA and a little water, added a little white paint and the merest whiff of blue ink. Somebody have a glance out your window and let me know whether it looks realistic.

The weather here has been stifling hot, so I had the strange experience of painting these cold looking figures while sweat was running down my face and threatening to drip on them.

24 comments:

  1. The snow looks fantastic, and overall this is excellent work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job mate, they look awesome. Between these and your FSJ you've really been kicking goals this last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your snow effect, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snow looks mighty fine,Alan!
    I do like how chilled these fellows look as all the Russian retreat figures look. I'd hazard you are correct on the troopers unit too, when you are that cold you are only concerned about important equipment....and blankets! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those colour tones are really good. very nice. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Alan and the snow looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look indeed excellent. And you get the coveted Canadian modelling snow approval badge, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, great dynamic poses and great snowwork!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb work Alan! A great snowy effect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff, love the deep snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are indeed a stunning range of models, I must not be tempted! I will need to speak to you a bit more about your lovely snow bases...

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a Canadian in winter (though not a Snow Lord, however one attains that rank), these look fine. The tufts of yellow grass poking through are very effective.
    These excellent figures bring back unpleasant memories of every winter exercise I ever shivered through. A superb entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're a Canadian and run a painting challenge you get to be 'Snow Lord'. :)

      Delete
  13. I feel cold just looking at them. Brrrrhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great, cold looking entry, super characterful very nice.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful! I think you've done a terrific job on the bases. To me it looks like wet snow, near melting, which is often the worst as it soaks through boots and gets slippery when it ices at night. Misery. Which is what you want to convey for the retreat from Russia. I also like the bits of grass and ground peeking out through the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Work, those boys look cold. Great work on the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on these. Those bases really do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think those look great. I've bookmarked the post for the tip about the snow - Woodland Scenics Snow, mixed with PVA looks very realistic. I love these guys - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Splendid painting and snow effect!

    ReplyDelete