Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from MichaelA: Grail Knights


Never one to be tied down by convention or the obvious I thought that I would stretch the interpretation of this year's 'Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge' opening bonus round entry.  Armour had instantly conjured up squadrons of tanks and whilst I had been looking for an excuse to purchase 'Warlord Games' fabulous version of Oddball's Sherman, I resisted and went in search of a suitable alternative from the lead pile.  Having given the matter a little more thought, I decided that Knights in Armour would work, but not any old knights, this called for Grail knights!  'Studio Miniatures' wonderful 'not' Monty Python homage proved another irresistible Kickstarter and just the ticket for my opening gambit in the Challenge.  Having made all manner of protestations that I wouldn't get caught up with the Bonus Rounds this year it would appear that I have fallen at the first, becoming so focussed on this entry that I have singularly failed to complete anything else.


Once again great sculpts from 'Studio Miniatures' that really were a joy to paint although I stopped short of depicting their respective heraldic devices on the surcoats, simply running out of time.  I did, however have a go at using some water slide transfers from 'Flags of War'.  These were going rather well until I rushed the final coat of varnish resulting in a crumpling effect, which I then exacerbated by trying to smooth them out, perhaps something that I will need to revisit in due course. With the Grail Knights completed, I turned my attention to the cavalry or at least one of them in the shape of trusty servant, Patsy.  Once again fabulous detail, but requiring a little filling here and there. It was at this point that I let things rather spiralled out of control and before I knew what was happening I succumbed to the foul taunting of the French Knights, this time mounted on some rather useful 'Sally 4th' MDF Flagstone bases.  Once completed a little voice in my head kept saying, "Now go away or I will taunt you a second time."  Try as I might I couldn't get off this rollercoaster of a ride and before I knew what was happening I was painting a tower for my Knights to shout down from.
 


Sadly there are no points for terrain pieces in the challenge, but this was one of those distractions that just needed to be done to complete the entry.  Of course the scene would not be complete without the infamous Trojan Rabbit.  Again part of the Kickstarter, I get the feeling that this was one of those additions that was added late on in the campaign without necessarily giving much thought as to how it would be constructed.  In the end it was a multi-part resin kit, but the body of which was so badly cast that I couldn't bring myself to do anything with it when it first arrived.  Now buoyed with the enthusiasm that came as a result of finishing the Knights, I revisited the project and set about the troublesome areas with filler.  A base coat and some liberal dry brushing and the piece was complete and  unlike the tower eligible for a few additional points.
 


Sensing the end was in sight, I had just starting to giving myself self congratulatory pat on the back, when I was reminded of Tim the Enchanter's immortal words, "that's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!"  So off it was to the lead pile to track down the requisite characters.  Tim, himself, was a fairly straight forward paint job, with the palette lifted straight from the film, but what of the the Beast of Caerbannog?   Now I need at this point to give credit to Snitchy of 'Snitchy the Dog' fame (http://snitchythedog.blogspot.co.uk) whose original idea for a casualty counter has heavily inspired this reincarnation.  So with Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch ordered up from 'Zinge Industries' I threw all manner of bits and bobs at a 'Warbases' MDF disc including a leaping rabbit!  A totally unnecessary addition, but hugely enjoyable fun to put together, with fun being a very important part of my hobby.
 



34 comments:

  1. You sir are barking. I love the mission creep here... brilliant as ever Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barking eh! Thank you Dave, things just sort of got away from me!

      Delete
  2. Superb! trying not to buy these figures but my resolve gets weaker every time I see them painted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely bonkers m'Lord - top notch work as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You did it again. I don't know where you find the time!

    Splendid stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ev, to be fair this is all I have done over Christmas, The Saintly Mrs. Awdry was starting to tire of me quoting from the film by New Year's eve!

      Delete
  5. mental, I'm sure the education of the next generation is safe in your hands

    ReplyDelete
  6. A replica of Awdry towers perhaps? :-)
    Brilliant work Mr A!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! Is that the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch I see?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your entry is as amusing and well done as ever. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was expecting to see something top-notch from you and you delivered. Really fun and well executed Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a fantastic collection of figures! I didn't see this KS, but I may have to pick up a Patsy to go with the Black Plague Pythons.

    The base on the Beast is also very well done. Top stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul, they do the other loyal servants too.

      Delete
  11. Will there be a "Vicious chicken of Bath!"? That is about the only reply that makes sense seeing this!

    In my head I had you down as making a Leonardo "Turtle car!" But this is about as left field as I was expecting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Vicious chicken of Bath!" now there's an idea. Perhaps we'll save the Turtle car for another day.

      Delete
  12. Ow damn, there we have this Round's winner! Amazing rendition of the NOT Search for the Holy Grail figures Michael, now where is that poll?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just what we expect from you - a wacky idea, brilliantly executed! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb submission Michael! I'm glad you did away with the idea of armour as tanks and instead treated us to that fine piece of Pytonesk goodness. With respect Sir, you're mad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely tremendous work, Michael. Such singular vision to pull this all together. Wonderfully executed and very, very funny. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on some fantastic figures - certainly made me smile! Love the Trojan Rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful, and I love how the entry snowballed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant work, Michael! I'm glad you listened to the taunting of the French knights. This a grand display of mission creep! ;)

    ReplyDelete