Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' from DavidL: Matilda Mother

For this bonus round, a small entry.

One of my goals for the Challenge is to get started on my WWII East Africa collection. I'll be writing and sharing more about this project in future posts, but to get things rolling (as it were) here is my first completed miniature for that project: a Matilda II tank of the 4th Royal Tank Regiment.



Nothing too exciting about the color scheme of this beastie, so I decided to sneak in a little Pink Floyd reference for giggles in the form of the tank's name.


"And fairy stories held me high/On clouds of sunlight floating by"
The Matilda series is one of my all-time favorites from the Second World War: both the I and II models have such great looks about them, albeit in totally different ways. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to paint one, and I'm quite pleased with the results.


"Oh mother, tell me more"
The model is from Blitzkrieg Miniatures and is 1/56 scale; apart from having a ton of residual mold release film still clinging to the resin (and obligating several curse-inflected trips to the sink as I repeatedly watched the primer bead up on the surface), it painted up quickly and beautifully. Indeed, I probably fussed over it a little too much, as I am wont to do with WWII tanks!

15 comments:

  1. Oooooh....lovely work David! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite early-war tanks. Wonderful job David!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great stuff, really like the weathering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one dusty waddling duck! Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man that is sharp - and your story of the resin issues is a stark reminder of why I avoid the scale for this period...but oh man, the cursing was worth it! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful Matilda! Love the weathering and detailing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A proper little land battleship! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really wonderful. I can almost feel the heat of the desert! I think the weathering is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cursing episodes aside...this beastie turned out very well!
    Top notch weathering and colors on her too! My favorite tank in the old SSI video game panzer general too! ;)

    ReplyDelete