Sunday, January 31, 2016

'Defensive Terrain' from Barks - 'Barbed Wire'

This is a trial piece for my ongoing WW1 project. PSC's The Great War comes with cardboard barbed wire tokens, which are somewhat uninspiring, so I made my own on a Flames of War base using plastic rod and thread.

Cardboard token and 3D version

I wanted to make ten to twenty of these, but it is a lot harder to get the poles through the base that I anticipated! Hence, I sheepishly submit this meagre entry. I tried a Dremel but it just clagged the drill tip. I can't get nails to go where I want them. Any tips gratefully received!

18 comments:

  1. Nice job :)

    I take it the bases are resin. For drilling the holes and to prevent clagging, you could try dipping the drill bit into slightly diluted or neat washing up liquid or hand soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have thought of that, great idea!

      Delete
  2. A nice (and formidable) looking base.

    PS: Vaseline on the drill bit works as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'll keep the halfings off the lawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a spatula to get them off the pitch...

      Delete
  4. Your use of thread really works, looks great

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ian, it came out looking better than I expected!

      Delete
  5. Very nice rust you've got going there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sander, I want it to look intimidating!

      Delete
  6. Liking this Barks, certainly worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MIchael, I'll be make making more based on what I've learnt!

      Delete
  7. Vaseline does do the trick, but I haven't tried Tamsin's method yet. I use a pin vice for control over dremels. The Vaseline is a hardwood trick and older than I!
    Very neat marker and a more elegant version than the tile too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But power tools are so much fun...

      Delete