Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from GregB - Citadel Imperial Guard

The theme is “nostalgia”, and in my current sci-fi frame of mind, that brings one thing forward - the days of Rogue Trader and the first edition of Warhammer 40,000. Like many, I collected and (tried) to paint some plastic Space Marines, but I was also a big fan of the “Imperial Army”. A few years ago I made some nice Ebay scores and gradually built up a Rogue Trader-era collection, which I can thankfully paint a little better now.
For this theme rounds I submit two figures from the 1990s “Imperial Army” from Citadel Miniatures - good, old-school, proper metal figures, the way wargames figures are supposed to be done!

The fellow with the “non-regulation” hair do is “Trooper Brock”, first released in 1988. Although the ad at the time (in White Dwarf 98) said he was warmed with a lasgun, astute Rogue Trader geeks will in fact note he is carrying a sport “autogun”, the assault rifle of choice in the year 40,000 era.


The second figure is a heavy weapon command figure, also from 1988. He would accompany things like Radpiers, Thudd Guns and Mole Mortars into the field.

 

When I paint these figures, I travel back to the time when a game of Warhammer 40k had maybe 20 figures per side, featured a nice, basic plot like a raid on a research station, and was totally involved even with that small force. The game today is, of course, a big, mass combat beast - the rules are deeply flawed, but I still enjoy the big games with our gaming group. 
 

20 comments:

  1. Those are awesome, especially the bare-headed dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding stuff Greg, I' with you in remembering a simpler time in rogue trader (although I also remember 2 point jump packs meaning you could have whole armies with them and virus grenades killing half an army in one turn if you were unlucky!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never owned any of these figures, but seeing your paintjob on them I kinda wish I did...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I date back to WD no 17. (but I did collect some older copies when I could find them. )

    Rogue Trader was brilliant until some GW twolly invented rules for Nuclear weapons. Spoilt the game!

    Good to see them gain. (I still have a few dotted about the house, but ssssh! don't tell anyone or they will end up on eBay!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We played 6000 points a side today Greg (yes really!) and my IG acquitted themselves well. Brock would have been proud of his brothers in arms. These are brilliant in every way and I'd love to see more of your collection mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6000 points of old Rogue Trader??? That would be something else!

      Delete
  6. Nice work and I remember having to battle these guys with my Eldar many a moon ago.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome work Greg. I always loved the early IG armour with the 'Hello, my name is...' button on the front. :) And that Dude has to change his barber...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's just like, your opinion, man...
      ; )

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that shaved strip down the center brings everything together. No, wait...

      Delete
    3. You kind of wonder what happened with the hair cut servitor...

      Delete
  8. Awesome! I had a lot of fun in my youth with the original Imperial Guard platic boxset (and the suicide bombers!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome work Greg, I love the old IG models, so much more character than the modern ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have both of these fellows and Rogue Trader still rules! They turned out great, and I really like 5he blue fatigues!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed this when it came out, both in 1988 and the other day. Lovely IG, I always wondered why there were so many Space Marines running all over the place. I really like the white and blue with red accents.

    ReplyDelete