Sunday, January 31, 2016

'Defensive Terrain' from SidneyR - 'The Guardian of Laarden'


For my third Themed Submission, I thought I would add another item to the Flemish town I've been building in 28mm. This time, instead of the civic dignitaries contenting themselves with being immortalised in oils, they have decided to use the winter tax collection on constructing a formidable redoubt on the edge of the town. Rather optimistically called "The Guardian of Laarden", it's a robust and imposing earthern redoubt built by some of the town's workmen on their days off from digging canals and undertaking voorhuis improvements. 


As with all building projects throughout the Old World, there are times in the construction when the site is eerily absent of workmen of any type. And then there's times when the pioneers finally turn up, do a bit of digging and present their invoice.


While I struggled to find an appropriate head labourer (perhaps he's gone for a cuppa, or to deliver his bill), I did find three 28mm figures (2 Dixons and 1 Foundry) who fit the bill, and a jumble of old clothes discarded on the ground.



The redoubt is scrathch built, with MDF, extruded polystyrene and cardboard. They don't take long to make, and add a useful defensive feature for any seventeenth century army.






34 comments:

  1. Nice redoubt Sidney and beautiful painting on the workmen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Sid. I especially like the base of workmen and the gabion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, I totally "dig" ;-) the weathering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant work Sidney from a terrain Master!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! (Although, for mastery, have a look at the other entries!!)

      Delete
  5. Really great piece. To be pedantic, where is the ladder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I knew there was at least one thing I forgot!! Thanks Martin!

      Delete
  6. Great work.. I like how it was built up here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, try as I might I just can't spot any chickens! :D Lovely work Sir, a real triumph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn...something else I forgot! Don't worry, Michael, Warbases are sending chicken reinforcements. Chickens, "thaaaaasssands of 'em", Sir!

      Delete
  8. Nice colors and brushwork, Sidney! I can't decide which I like best the working party or the earthworks!
    I really like the mixed groundwork and the aged timber...a piece of table to fight for! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. The working party was a bit of an after-thought. I'd intended to do a series of redoubts, in planning and part-stages of construction, but time ran out. Thanks for commenting, mate!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful colour palette on the terrain, and I love your shading on the figures. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete