Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from SidneyR - The Satyr


My nostalgia entry is not so much the setting of the miniature, or the painting, but the figure itself and the memories it brings back.  It's a figure I have had for about 25 years without applying any paint to it.  It's a Satyr, beautifully sculpted from Games Workshop (perhaps Trish Morrison), which I think was marketed as part of GW’s miniatures range for the "Talisman" game in the late 1980s.  I picked it up as part of a pack with a Sorceress and a Thief. 



I remember the “Talisman” game really well, and a lot of the Games Workshop games from the 1980s.  Seeing the figures from these games always brings back some amazing memories – of teenage friends, of all-night games, and crazy dungeon-crawling D&D adventures.


How the Satyr escaped a (thick and ham-fisted coat of enamel) paint defeats me.  But I’ve tried to correct that now by turning it into a marketplace statue for a Seventeenth Century town.  As the statue looks a little bare on its own, I’ve added a little straw, a couple of Warbases hens and a cockerel and an adventurer’s hat.  Perhaps we might even find the adventurers in later Challenge submissions!
 

31 comments:

  1. Lovely work Sid! I look forward to seeing the coming figures that will be featured with The Satyr Monument. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great setting for a lovely little figure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea Sidney, nicely done Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fun! I trust you get bonus points for the poultry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good question, Barks. I'd have added more if the hens count extra!!

      Delete
  5. An interesting interpretation sir and well executed as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May the lord Baccus shine down on you and all your impish tomfoolery. Sorry It just came out. Not a quote that I know of just an out burst inspired by the Satyr. Very nice figure.... Aah "Talisman" what a good game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint - there were various other uses for the Satyr ... some indeed involving impish tomfoolery! This was the better one, thank goodness!

      Delete
  7. Excellent work and really like the base!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea and beautifully done Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marvellous, what a fine...terrain piece! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great, and I love the basing! Erecting a statue is a fitting tribute to a game you loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind, Steve - I very much enjoyed thinking about it as I was building it all!

      Delete
  11. Great repurposed mini from a very fun game! I like the aged look and the slightly neglected look of the statue square. A great game piece for any time or world too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great re-purposing of the figure. He makes a lovely statue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an excellent use for an old miniature!

    ReplyDelete