Sunday, January 31, 2016

'Defensive Terrain' from PhilH - 'Entrenchments'

I took the third theme round quite literally and built a few elements of defensive terrain for a Chain of Command Espana. I've been dipping in and out of building and painting these for weeks. The support option lists call for the usual: entrenchments  for teams (~6 men or a support weapon) and 6" sections of barbed wire. All of these are scratch built from supplies I had in stock. 

With Nationalist infantry taking up defensive positions:


The entrenchments are based on some 2mm foamed PVC, cut into gentle curves. The earth bank was built up with foam board and filler, and balsa wood supports built at the back. The sandbags are plastics from Rendra I thought these were a bit steep at £8 for two sprues, but this is perhaps half or 2/3rds of one so you get quite a bit from them. The groundwork done in my usual way - sand over PVA glue.


I built two barbed wire sections on Warbases terrain bases, with holes drilled and some bamboo cocktail sticks glued in. The wire is from Antenociti's workshop, I find a bit of black wash and iron oxide powder brings it up a treat. I would have liked twice as many of these but am out of the bases? having made some in 15mm using the same method. I used two layers of wire in a fairly historically accurate pattern. 



19 comments:

  1. Lovely scratch building Phil, especially the wire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm really pleased with how that came out. In larger scale I could get two layers of wore in which looks much more formidable!

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I had a feeble attempt at wire in 15mm, I'll look into warbases now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looks at a few wire schematics images and realised the mind boggling complexity of how it was often used!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful work Phil. Your comments years ago were largely the reason for this round and you haven't disappointed with your skills shown here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, a good idea? Only occasionally.

      Thanks for the opportunity to do something different - us butterflies appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Real nice, will be really useful in your games

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very wonderful work, the earthworks are very well done, but I really like the wire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David. Simple pieces but boy do I have some ideas for post-challenge terraining!

      Delete
  6. Really excellent. There's just something about everything you paint and make which looks clean, and "just right". These are just fantastic. Well done, mate!

    ReplyDelete