Saturday, January 16, 2016

'Epic Fail' from StephenS - Napoleon's Retreat from Moscow



This is a story that really captured my interest when I read Adam Zamoyski's book 1812: Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow.





It is a tale that most people here probably know a bit about. Napoleon invaded Russia and captured a mostly deserted and burning Moscow. The Russians refused to surrender and Napoleon was forced to withdraw the same way he came. The Russian winter, a severe lack of supplies and repeated Russian attacks meant that only about 100, 000 of the original 600,000 made it back (exact numbers differ depending on your sources). 





These are the first Napoleonic figures I have ever painted! I knew straight away that I wanted to use some of the lovely figures from the Perry brother's range, which I am sure must have graced this blog before. It was also my first effort at replicating snow on this scale - I followed all the instruction that YouTube gave me, so hopefully it has turned out well. 



I particularly like the officer with his sword half drawn. Has he spotted some approaching Cossacks? Is he worried the stragglers might try to steal his lovely pelisse? Alternatively, perhaps he is warning the soldiers to stay away from the remains of a horse he has found.





I spent an inordinate amount of time looking at French uniforms, it took me ages to find out that one of the figures is wearing a 'Bonnet De Police'! I still have no idea if it is the right colour, I just copied the photo off the Perry’s website in the end. I had a great time researching and painting these figures and I hope you enjoy them.



Cheers,

Steve

19 comments:

  1. Excellent entry! Oh I do get tempted by these minis.

    And that book is great, very harrowing account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a good retreat from Moscow dio. Very nice indeed Stephen! You should give this a read, it still gives me the chills...

    http://www.amazon.com/Sergeant-Bourgogne-Napoleons-Imperial-campaign/dp/1846771064

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, I should read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done Stephen :)

    My only suggestion for improvement would be on the flesh tones - they look quite warm at the moment. Maybe mix a touch of grey or pale blue into the flesh shades and go for a paler flesh palette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, they do need to look colder :) As soon as I saw Curt's model, I realised I missed a trick with weathering as well!

      Delete
  5. The memoirs of Sergeant Bourgogne are a fab read. Curt would be proud of these figs. Top job

    ReplyDelete
  6. The memoirs of Sergeant Bourgogne are a fab read. Curt would be proud of these figs. Top job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine painting and a wonderful entry. I liked that book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work - always enjoy seeing the Napoleonic madness afflicting others as well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of all the Nappies out there, I really want this particular theme! Really fine brushwork on them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd have never known that this was your first time dong Naps or snow. Really, really well done. Your sabot base is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the figures and the snow effects are top notch.

    Fabulous entry sir!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great piece, great painting and I love the basing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheers for all the comments guys! Not sure my next entry will involve the madness of trying to do a large base as well though!!! But have to admit I did really like painting up Napoleonics...

    ReplyDelete