Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from MilesR - 'The Gateway Drug'

I really enjoy this hobby.  I did get in via a way I suspect a lot of us did - the GW gateway drugs of Warhammer and 40K. The Nostalgic aspect of this entry is the fact that I got into the hobby following my son who was 11 and became enthralled with the GW universe.

Trying to be a supportive father, I jumped in with him and soon we had the beginnings of both warhammer and 40k armies and were learning things about codex's and the "GW Hobby".  Sadly (or perhaps not so sadly), Sean's passion changed from miniatures to robotics and he left the old man behind in the rather tawdry GW universe.

My response to Sean's change of interests was to look for other grey hairs and I found historicals and the rest, as they say, is history.

GW is a controversial company with aggressive price policies and such but they do make some nice miniatures that really are a joy to paint - perhaps because so few actually get painted they enjoy the painting process more.

I suspect there are more than a few of us Challenge participants who can point to the GW as their gateway drug to the hobby.

I present for my Nostalgia entry a Lizardman Saurus rider circa 2007.


16 comments:

  1. "My name is Martin and I am an Addict. I have gone 9 hours without painting a figure"
    Great fig

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My name is Sander and I am an Addict. I have gone 2 years without painting a GW figure but am struggling after seeing these beauties..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great.. on multiple fronts. Such as the point that you got into it to be closer with the kid, that the army you chose was also the same as my son, and that you doing it cause you love it ( even if the GW business monster tries to kill it at times.. ).

    Looking forward to seeing more perhaps in the competition?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I painted eight of these some years back and I still remember how time consuming they were. Lovely models, just took ages to paint and made me swear quit a lot. Does that count as nostalgia or just mental scarring? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gateway drug is the perfect term! Sums it up exactly. Very nice if it ever needs a new hoe I am happy to adopt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting Miles. From your work now I never would have guessed that you weren't always a historical gamer. Nice job on the Lizardman and mount.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spot on - nice figure and for me to was the fact that GW were organised, you got everything you and an opponent needed in one place with no arguments about what rules or bases sizes to use!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice Miles! D&D started the whole miniature stuff for me with Ral Partha, but yes in terms of wargaming GW was my gateway drug like many.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. I for one was never addicted to Citadel Miniatures. Honest. I can stop whenever I want! ;-)

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work on the mini! A White Dwarf on a newsagents shelf in 1993 was how I got into the hobby! I've moved onto other things, but still love their miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work, Miles - my gateway drug was certainly Citadel Miniatures and D&D, turbo-charging me and a lot of my friends while still at school. Great work, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm an addict too, I haven't bought any GW in 5 years, but I have lots in my mountain of neglect!
    Your lizards turned out really really well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story that you got into the hobby because of your son's interest.

    ReplyDelete