Sunday, January 3, 2016

'Nostalgia' from JohnSe - Old School Space Orks



I was all lined up to crank out some medieval foot when I noticed that the first theme for the Challenge was "nostalgia". I'm a late arrival to historical miniatures, and got my start with Rogue Trader era figures from Games Workshop. I picked up a few of the classic 40K figures to replace those I either lost or never acquired 25 years ago, but until now they've been nestled away in storage drawers. These old sculpts flip all of my nostalgia switches, so I broke out the "Snotling Green" paint and painted them up.



I was initially a bit put off by the sculpts. Most of the rank and file are all hunched up, but after getting some color on them I really dug how full of character these guys are.




I loved all of the little packs, bags, ammo and webbing and the retro, 2000A.D. style sci fi armor their sporting (especially those pineapple shoulder pads). I was really happy to finally give these miniatures some love, attention I'm sure they would have lacked had it not been for the "nostalgia" theme of the Painting Challenge.

18 comments:

  1. I think the painting and basing really works on these figures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice paint job and you're halfway to the "battle at the farm" scenario in the Rogue trader rulebook that used these boys and some space marines. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job with these. Never played rogue trader

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you've done the old skool mini's in a more contemporary paintjob and still made it look nostalgic. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these models, and love how you tackled them in the bad moon ( or was it blood moon? ) clan color scheme.. my favorite out of the bunch due to how the yellow and green works to well together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh... I love these guys. So much character. Cracking entry John!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Until I saw this entry I had forgotten about this box set. I wonder what I did with it? Very old skool but very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! I avoided 40K like the plague in the old days. I am only now trying to assemble an Ork force. I love the work you did on these Boyz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So awesome, these were my first GW figures! Loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant painting on these classic sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great skin tones on some really classic figures. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *clears throat*
    WAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!
    Had to be said.

    Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've that whole set languishing in the too paint pile...been there since last year, but at least they are primered! ;)
    Great job on the painting and basing, their armor and webbing look really good!

    ReplyDelete