Sunday, January 31, 2016

'Defensive Terrain' from GregB - 'Whacko Gothic Space Turret'

Punisher cannon turret, with two Space Marines to give an idea of size
Here is my submission for the "Defensive Terrain" Theme Round - a whacko gothic space turret from Games Workshop.  This is part of a rather extensive set of mutli-part plastic defensive terrain GW released a few years ago - the suitably melodramatic "Wall of Martyrs".  This is part of a "Vengeance Weapons Battery" - I think it is actually called a "Punisher Cannon".  This turret will defend all sorts of things in dystopian Imperium, from critical military locations to day cares!


I really, really dislike all the skullz GW designers throw on their models and figures these days, but I did like these turrets, even with the whacky skulls in the sides.  I was able to leave quite a few of the skullz off (thankfully, they were separate) and the propsects for this thing to play a part in all sorts of 30k and 40k games are good. Even the overly dramatic pseudo baroque look just...works for me.


In particular, I like scenarios where you are not too sure who is controlling the turret from turn to turn...the rogue turret - always fun! Maybe more fun if you are running the scenario than playing...but still...


I do hate painting terrain - it represents time I could have put towards painting the figures! But, as Curt had said in another context, "this is a painting challenge, after all" I just sucked it up and got it painted, and it didn't take too much time.  Some basic colours, some small weathering and lense effects and it's good to go!  Phew! Glad to have this done, and I look forward to getting this out on the table. 

14 comments:

  1. She's a beaut Greg. I'd hate to be on the receiving end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous job Greg. That weapon is awesomely ridiculous! You should paint a single red firing button on its back panel with arrows pointing inwards at it, like the 'History Eraser Button' from Ren & Stimpy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, agree about the skulls but looks good with the ones you have added

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff! one of the more reasonable bits of GW kit and well done for removing most of the offending skulls....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a riveting peace of terrain there! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get a vote from me Greg, for the simple fact I never thought it would happen! Hell must have frozen over since you actually painted terrain!!! Now get to work on those roads you had me cut for you over a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's all coming out now. Clearly your roads need more skullz. Perhaps this will kick off Greg's love of painting terrain.

      Delete
  7. Great brushwork on the cannon, Greg! My 40k terrain is still primered...or bare plastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, Greg.... a great terrain piece!

    ReplyDelete