Sunday, January 31, 2016

'Defensive Terrain' from SanderS - 'Promote this Man!'

"Promote this man, he's able to defend a desperate position!"

This vignette is very much based on real life... I totally was flabbergasted at the last Epic Fail theme and until just a short while ago had no clue whatsoever for the Defensive Terrain round either. I did however remember a scene from the epic movie "The Battle of Waterloo" where Wellington promotes a guy who has clearly nicked a piglet and is able to come up with an enormously obviously fake excuse, because hanging the man on the eve of battle would not serve morale all that much now would it? The soldier is promoted to corporal but could have just as easily been hanged on the spot, so I guess he needs to keep his britches clean and would be on the hunt for the next best loo.








And just when he's sitting down to read all about the who's and what's of the Duchess of Richmonds ball, he's busted out by his superiors. You can just about imagine them saying: "Well now this just will not do! Get out of there right this instant. What with you slacking about here corporal!" "Yes Sah! Right THIS instance Sah?"






Anyway, before I get too much carried away, I scratch build the outhouse with balsa wood and added two of Revell's British RA officers. One of them I painted up as a RA sergeant and the other one as a regular line infantry officer. The person of inspection is actually a gunner opening a box of ammunition or so, which I gave green stuff trousers and a tin foil newspaper. To be honest I made a figure like this years ago as well for a friend to be placed in his bombed out Hougoumont building, but this one is staying in my collection. I had heaps of fun creating this little post, what with all the greenery and the chickens. Yup there are two chickens on the base, 10 points for everyone who notices them ;-)

Some close ups:





And yup, he's got a metal rod up his back-end...





Let the corny jokes begin!

Cheers Sander

27 comments:

  1. Crikey! No peace even while on the Dunny! Some great detail on this piece. Really good job...get it...job...jobby. Anyway it's got great humour. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Now I know why you were so upset by the redback and the toilet seat :-) Great entry Sander!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn I forgot to include a Redback in there! For yeah they do exist in Belgium. But I will do one in your homage in a future piece.

      Delete
  3. I'm almost speechless! Really, a well done piece. Bravo Sander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be out of breath from all the work you had to do due to my inconsiderate mailing of this post Curt ;-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, your Santa dumping in the chimney picture kinda served as an inspiration too :-P

      Delete
  5. Another great entry and I came close to doing the privy from Young Guns ;-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh Ian I would have loved to see that one! Can't you enter it in a different round still?

      Delete
  6. Dear me, I did forget to add the most important lines: "Why do I think this is Defensive Terrain? Heck if I know, Curt can stuff this theme if he wants to. I just had such a load of fun making this vignette that I do not care whether it counts as defensive terrain at all and does not get any votes. As my son already knows, Dad's second favourite place in the house (after the man-cave) is the loo, since that's about the only place I can have any rest and a read. So yeah I am pretty defensive about my thunderbox ;-)"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice vignette Sander! :)

    The pic of the corporal being painted brought tears to the eyes of the guy next to me in the office - that rod up his 'arris *shudder* ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this the moment to state that I do this to all my mounted troops as well to ease the painting ;-)

      Delete
  8. Well, with that stick it is no wonder on why he is occupied! ;)
    Hilarious vignette, Sander!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, as Corporal Jones is wont to say: "they don't like it when you stick it up 'em."

      Delete
  9. Genius! What a fabulous build, certainly made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great entry. Feeling "defensive" about shutting yourself away for some peace and quiet - and it's a piece of "terrain". So, there you go - "defensive terrain". Job's a good (great) 'un!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it in one! And thanks for the kind words.

      Delete